Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #31
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I would use Kerdi Band on that Kerdi board to DW seem, Mark, and set the Kerdi fasteners as close to the edge as practical so that they are covered by the band.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #32
buldogge

Current state...

As it sits now...Waiting on some 10" kerdi band, schluter trim, and tile to arrive from the distributor.

We'll get the kerdi/band/cornerss on the floor and curb on Friday, hopefully.

-Mark
Attached Images

Unread 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #33
buldogge

Area for Concern?

Hey guys...Is this something I should be worried about?

Theoretically, the Kerdi is going in on the mud bed, today...but...just noticed this possible hairline crack today when I vacuumed the bed.

The marking could also, partially, be trowel overlap.

Just to re-cap...1.25" total ply sub/underlayment, 16" OC 2x10 joists, felt, lath, 1">2" drypack.

The bed is a week old.

Next is Kerdi (obviously) and then also a coating of Ardex 8+9, about 6" up the walls.

Tile is 1x3 (3/8") herringbone mosaic porcelain.

Thoughts?

-Mark in St. Louis
Attached Images

Unread 08-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #34
ss3964spd

I'm no mud guy, Mark, but given what's under it, and its thickness, I'd Kerdi right over that.
Unread 08-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #35
buldogge

Hey Dan...

Well that's good...because that's exactly what we did.

My best bet is it is the joint, as it were, between 2 batches/buckets/"pours".

I don't think it will be an issue, especially with the Ardex 8+9.

Hell, I'm more concerned with the "hump" caused by the 2" Kerdi overlap, because they refuse to sell product off a wider roll (ie even though their 72" pre-made pan has continuous coverage).

I hate the idea of floating a bunch of thinset to even the pan back out before laying the mosaics...but...what else are ya gonna do??

-Mark
Unread 08-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #36
buldogge

Forged ahead...

Water test in place...250ml control beaker in place.

-Mark
Attached Images

Unread 09-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #37
buldogge

Progressing slowly, various issues and timelines out of my control...but...we got back into it today. Getting started on the shower wall tile and immediately ran into an issue.

The tile is Fiandre French Clay 4 x 12. It is not an expensive tile, per se, but neither is it a "cheap" bargain tile.

The tiles exhibit (to my eye) quite a bit of cupping along the short axis (but are pretty flat on the long axis), and this is causing issue, of course.

Used a cut and beveled tile, in the pics, to help highlight the cupping.

You guys see a hell of a lot more tile than I do...Is this pretty normal/common, or does this stuff look "out of spec"...???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis
Attached Images

Unread 09-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mark, does the manufacturer's paperwork (a link would be good) indicate the tile meets the requirements of ANSI A137.1?

If not, there are no "specs" to be out of. 'Specially as it's advertised as having a "Hand-Made Effect" if I looked at the correct product.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #39
buldogge

Hey CX...You've got the right tile, I'm sure.

https://www.granitifiandre.com/doc/c..._clay-FU07.pdf

"One year limited warranty

FIANDRE-USA warrants to purchasers (“Buyer”) that its products meet or exceed the performance specification outlined in ANSI A137. 1-2008 at the time of production and for twelve (12) months from the date of shipment from our factory or until they are installed, whichever date occurs first."

Thanks,
-Mark
Unread 09-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #40
cx
Moderator emeritus

2008? Thought my A137.1 was pretty ancient at 2012.

Best I can tell the only tiles I see in your link that are 4x12-inch size are described as "Glossy Wall Tile," which I'm gonna construe to mean Glazed Wall Tile which is an official A137.1 classification.

If that's the case, the manufacture is permitted, best I can tell, a 0.40 percent warpage, but not to exceed .05" along the edge or .07" diagonal.

You got more than that?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #41
buldogge

Well...

I don't have any feeler gauges, here at home...but...measuring some various folded smooth cardboard with calipers, on a reliably flat surface, yields ~.035" on that one cut example.

FWIW...

-Mark

Last edited by buldogge; 09-15-2020 at 10:54 PM.
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #42
buldogge

Follow-up...

Well, it's been awhile, and the bathroom is 95% done.

I caved to the family and had someone lay the tile...things went relatively smoothly, but the tile guy had to have surgery and missed a couple weeks, and then when he got back he brought in a helper (his dad, actually), and things got a little sloppy.

He has now ghosted me on the caulking plus touch-ups/mistakes/whatever, and a bit of cleanup.

I'm gonna attach a few sample pics...there are about a dozen examples of these small issues.

Grout is Laticrete Permacolor Select.

In addition there is some minor chipping that we have decided to live with, and a few errant grout line widths...but more than decent overall.

-Mark in St. Louis
Attached Images

Unread 11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
buldogge

A few more sample pics...

A few more, there are about a dozen similar issues.

-Mark
Attached Images

Unread 11-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #44
buldogge

So...

Under the assumption that the tile guy has determined that the final small $ payment is not worth his time (my mistake for, uncharacteristically, being a "nice guy") and has ghosted me...

How to best approach these repairs...

Little touch-ups, or grind.scrape the joints for the length or height of the tile edge (and remove the spacer remnant or thinset, as needed, in those cases)...?

I will have to grab a 12.5# bag of base and each of the 2 colors (or fudge the (2) very small spots on the floor, with some kinda black colorant added to go from platinum to raven).

-Mark
Unread 11-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #45
ss3964spd

Unfortunately with Permacolor, Mark, you won't be able to simply touch it up. If you need to add grout you should excavate the joint down to about 2/3rds the thickness of the tile. The other challenge will be getting a good color match.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase