Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #91
Stuart

Hi,

I'm getting ready to tile the 3 walls around the tub. Being new at this game, I'm very slow, especially when I don't plan on pre-cutting the end pieces and around the niche like I did for the floor. I'm trying to think of the pitfalls of doing just the back wall before the 2 side walls.

One thing that comes to mind is the ability to make some small adjustments if needed on the end pieces for alignment. I'm guessing the thinset would be too hard even by the next day to adjust the tiles.

Are there other reasons not to do just one wall first?

Thank you for your input....
Unread 12-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #92
BIGPHIL

I recommend doing exactly as you've described it...tile the tub surround back wall first. You definitely cannot make any adjustments the next day. Be sure to get everything lined up as you set the tile. One good thing about doing the back wall first is that the virtical caulk joint between the adjoining walls is not as easily seen face on with a standard alcove. Much like doing coping joints in trim....I always try to make the joint less visible from the entry. A nice laser level and tripod are very handy for getting grout joints lined up. Spend a little extra time on the first row and make sure it is all lined up perfectly. Everything else above it depends on that for a nice and even layout.
Unread 12-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #93
smifwal

I know this probably mentioned somewhere in the thread but it is a long one, what size tile are you using and do you plan on a pattern? Are you planning on a niche?
Unread 12-03-2020, 04:37 AM   #94
Stuart

Hi,

I know this thread is long..I've been bumbling my way thorugh this effort with so much help from this group. I've learned so much from this group and my mistakes .

My tiles are 6 x 18. Plan on doing a 1/3 offset. Yes I have a niche. Plan on using Schulter profile edge around the perimeter of the walls and niche.

One of my mistakes was not lining up the niche edges with the last horizontal tile below. There will be about a 1 1/2 inch distance between the last horizontal tile and the bottom ofthe niche. I plan to cut "picture type frame" tiles and put those around the niche to make up the gap. I've seen that in other pictures and it doesn't look bad...I hope
Attached Images

Unread 12-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #95
smifwal

If I under stand correctly you need to make up a 1 1/2" in the bottom of the niche, why not fill that in with kerdi board so your tiles line up?

But as for you question on where to start I would start on the niche wall and work my way around this gets the hard part out of the way. If you want your pattern going the other way start on the valve wall
Unread 12-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #96
Stuart

Sorry if I was not clear. All the Kerdi board is in place up to the niche. What I meant was , it is not an even number of tiles from the tub to the niche. A 1 1/2" sliver of tile is needed to make it from the last full tile to the niche. So I'm just going to make a 1 1/2" border of tile.

I think they say it's best to tile the back wall first so the corners look better when you face the tub.

Thank you for the input
Unread 12-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #97
smifwal

I understand now. As for the order of walls I to would most times tile the back wall of a tub surround first, but you said you were doing a 1/3 off set pattern so I thought it would be easier for you to keep the pattern going the same direction if you started on the niche wall or the valve wall. If you feel comfortable that you won't reverse your pattern on either side, then do the back wall first.
Unread 12-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #98
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Stewart, while thinking about your layout you'll also want to consider how you will handle the left and right front ends of the tub, where the flat horizontal deck rounds over to the vertical face.

See photo below of how a fellow member here handled his. Basically, he cut his very bottom row of tile so that he could incorporate the radius into the tile, making for a very tidy look.

Since your tile is 6" tall you should be able to do the same. I forget if you plan to tile to the ceiling but, if you do, be sure to account for that in your layout.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #99
Stuart

Hi,

Happy Holidays...

I have a question in regards to trowel size. I planned on using a 1/4 x 3/8 trowel for my 6 x 18 tiles. But the feet of the tile leveling system are 1/8" thick. So I'm wondering if that size trowel (along with a few low spots) will leave enough thinset for good coverage or should I use a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel. Or will that trowel leave too thick of a layer of thinset.

Thank you
Attached Images

Unread 12-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #100
cx
Moderator emeritus

That trowel should be adequate, Stuart. The industry standard requirement is to have a minimum of 3/32nds" of mortar under the tile after it is fully bedded. The maximum thickness allowed for a standard (ANSI A118.4) thinset mortar is 1/4" and you should be able to adjust your technique to fall between those thicknesses.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #101
Stuart

Hi,

I'm looking for advice for cove base tiling install methods:

1. Is it personal preference for the grout line thickness? i.e match up floor grout lines or just use the spacers on the tile (about 1/16). It will take a lot of cutting to size to match up with floor, but can be done.

2. Do you put caulk on the top (against the wall) and the floor of the cove base? Because everything is not perfectly flat and square, there are slighly larger gaps in spots against the wall that could be filled with caulk

3. Do you space the cove base off the floor?

Thank you
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase