Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
jrland

Minimum and Maximum thickness for Deck mud over concrete slab for shower

I'm having trouble finding the minimum and maximum thicknesses for deck mud over a concrete slab for a shower pan. I've been following threads here and it seems the minimum is 3/4". I can't seem to find a maximum if there is one. Thank you kindly!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Are you talking about the preslope (under the liner) or mud bed over the liner? Or, are you talking about a mud bed for a surface applied membrane?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
clifton clowers

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...3994141552.jpg

says 3/8" to 3" on the bag.

Laticrete 3701 (fortified bed) says it can be to a feather edge: https://laticrete.com/tile-and-stone...ied-mortar-bed
Old 03-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
jrland

Davy, I'll be using the Kerdi system over the shower walls and pan. I've spent several days at youtube university and terrific sites such as this to formulate a plan for building my showers. It seems in several of the threads here, a general consensus is to use 3/4" as a minimum for a deck mud but I see nothing on a maximum. The threads are job specific so I was hoping to get some input as to what might be a common practice for thicknesses of deck mud over concrete, then using a kerdi waterproofing system. What I can do with the product will tell me what I can do to form the pan. I do have one shower that I have the ability for a curbless shower but I would need to install a thin pan and feather a ramp. (elderly parents and may need it one day) One shower I have to install a curb as the concrete guys poured the drain as a high point, the other has the drain as a low point.

Thanks Clifton for the links included with information. I'll definitely be checking it out. I am interested in creating a ramp. I'm sure it's done and there has to be product capable of it. I will certainly check this out.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #5
roughrider

Look in the liberry there are many posts on the subject.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #6
jrland

Thanks Chris. There is a wealth of information at the Liberry.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
jrland

Shimming walls for durock vs thinnset coat over durock

I'm about to install some durock for a shower and have variations in the 2x walls. There are 2 exterior walls for a shower in this 60 year old house. I'm wondering what might be a common practice to make a straight plain? Would shimming be ideal in certain situations? As a guess I would think a combination of both shimming and thinset buildup. I notice drywall shims at the building supply are not for wet areas and didn't see anything for exterior applications. Just wondering the best practices for making a straight plain. Thanks for any input!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
CaliGrown

You can make furring strips out of ply or sister 2xs to flatten your studs before durrock. Its best to not use thinset as flattening after the fact though. You can use it to skim minor deviations, especially the durrock to Sheetrock joint.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
jrland

Thanks Chris.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If you are using a water proofing method (membrane, liquid) that covers the face of the Durock you can use drywall shims.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
cx
Da Home Builder

JoJo, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
jrland

Thanks Dan. I suspected that might be the case. Going to check those out along with some ply.

Will do CX. Wasn't sure if a different topic should be on a different thread.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
jrland

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for best practices when working a glass block window into a shower wall? I haven't gotten far enough into the project to figure it out. It's the 2nd shower, I'm working on the first one. Wondering if the final tile and caulk should be a certain distance from the glass block itself? Would there be any considerations I should keep in mind when there is a block window in a shower wall. Kerdi over durock. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase