Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #121
Themus

Lol! Good point.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #122
Themus

I have the shower outlet at 78". The shower head with the elbow will be about 6" below that.

No red alarms if I end my CB at 6 feet or 6" below outlet? I really want more painted drywall showing then 7" or so. I also would not need to cut a piece of CB one foot by five feet.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #123
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
No alarms from me, Thomas.

The outlet for mine was above the pre-fab enclosure wall. No water proofing around or behind it whatsoever, just painted drywall.

After almost 40 years there was not a single sign of water damage when I demo'd the thing.

Better to have some water proofing, or even just tile, of course, but IMO it'll be just fine.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #124
Themus

Excellent, thank you. CB all cut except for the last section as I sought this forums advice. I'll get the rest cut Monday.

I picked up some Polymer-Enriched Thin-Set mortar by MADEI "Porcelain Tile Mortar. Says for Cement mortar boards, Membranes, etc.

I trust this is the right stuff. Looks like I would have enough to do several bathrooms! LOL! Can you imagine my profit margin if I did this for a living! If I charged by the hour I would be rich, by the job I would be bankrupt.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #125
Themus

I see HardieBacker's directions say to put thinset in joints then use fiber tape.

Yet I see plenty of online videos put the tape on first then cover with thinset.

I believe my fiber tape is self-adhesive so it would seem logical to put it on first.

1.) Or does it really matter which one is done first?

The thinset I purchased is Polymer-Enriched Thin-Set mortar by MADEI "Porcelain Tile Mortar.

2.) I assume that works fine for my application.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #126
cx
Da Home Builder

1. So long as you fill the gap and apply the tape, it matters not which is done first, Thomas.

2. Should meet the Hardiebacker manufacturer's requirements just fine so long as it says it meets ANSI A118.4.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #127
Themus

Moen Valve Handle Gap

This maybe my OCD, but I am not pleased with the gap between the handle and the escutcheon.

Now I finally did a smart thing and my last check before screwing the CB to the studs was to check the Moen valve 'assembly.'

I created a template from 3/4" plywood {same thickness as the tile and CB} and had the 4.5" hole in it for the plaster ground to go through it.

I drilled a 4.5" hole through the CB board to match the location and the hole.

Tonight I actually used my plywood template, and mock assembled the entire valve assembly to see how it would look.

Much to my surprise, there is a large 1/2" gap as shown in the pictures. Compared to Moen's manual picture, it is almost flush looking.

So to fix this means I have to unscrew all my straps, the mounting board, and move it back.

How is it in practice I can follow precisely what Moen recommends [using the plaster guard flush with the thickness of my CB board and tile] and come out so different than their picture?

Do others find the same thing happening with Moen valves?
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #128
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I have the same valve (which I'm not a big fan of, no volume control) in my basement bath. Yours turned out the same as mine, +/- a smidge.

I can only guess that the instructions, and the design of the valve body/handle/escutcheon/valve stem sleeve are all coordinated so that if someone with average skill and attention to detail loosely follows the directions the result will be no interference between the bits. It has to be so since the manufacturers cannot account for all possible finished wall thicknesses.

I'd further guess this is where experience comes in. Someone who does this stuff routinely, and who cares, armed with knowing how thick the finished wall will be, could set that valve exactly where they want to eliminate most of that gap.

Worth the effort to move that valve body back 1/4" or so? If I could get to it easily enough, and there was enough play in the plumbing, sure.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #129
Themus

Thank you! Great information.

I am going to fix it then tonight.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #130
Themus

New and improved.

Worked on this over the course of two evenings. I devised a board behind the valve with long screws so that I can adjust the depth of the valve a bit if needed after the work is completed.

This is where I have it now. Now maybe I can start installing the CB tomorrow night!

BTW, I called Moen and talked to an honest CSR. She told me that indeed they get a lot of calls from customers complaining that their plaster guard even when used and followed by their directions, had the handle stick out too far.

She said they are coming out with new models to take care of this issue.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #131
Themus

Tonight I finally started screwing the CB {HardieBacker to the walls}.

As with every phase, questions cropped up.

First, I counter-sinked the holes. But I found two hairline cracks despite doing this on the right edge.

Is this an issue to be alarmed about?

Also, how far above the shower flange should I place screws. While HardBacker says a min. of 8" apart, I went with 6." But the bottom 6" would be right on the flange. [36" CB divided by 6"]
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #132
Themus

Here are two pictures of the hairline cracks. Just two so far, but both on the right side.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #133
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Hardi is prone to this. If it's not worse than that, I wouldn't worry.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #134
mullet
░░░░░░░

Thomas, I ran into this as well working with Hardi. I went to lowes and got some cheap drill sinks. This actually made the screw heads flush with out cracking the Hardi and I did save some drive bits as well from not breaking trying to drive these screws in. You can see in the pic that the screws are about a 1/32 below the surface of the hardi not to mention the screws go in effortlessly. This will also allow you to put a screw in the corner of the hardi with out breaking the whole corner off.

Kobalt 4-Piece 1/8-in x 1-5/8-in High-Speed Steel Twist Drill Bit Set
Attached Images

Last edited by mullet; 03-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #135
Themus

Thanks! I am also thinking and hoping since the other side piece, tape and thinset still go on in that corner that for the most part it will be covered and strengthened.

I actually counter-sinked with those same bits! Maybe I needed to go a bit deeper or use another one with a bigger head? I think i have used the smallest one on those.

I stopped half way on the first sheet last night. No other cracks on the other holes.

How far from the bottom should I put screws? I have the CB 1/4 over the flange.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase