Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #3211
Just In Tile LLC

I'll try the luan next time Jerry, I can see that thinner profile really helping. Appreciate the tips
Unread 03-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #3212
90sKid

Fat Mud Question

Hello everyone, I live in North Carolina and unfortunately we do not have floating mud for walls. I am trying to bring that back in to the trade here but I am in need of some advice on how to properly mix mud to make fat mud. I know it is used still in California, does anyone know of the ratios to mix it from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-17-2022, 08:15 PM   #3213
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Post that question over here and you should get a response pretty quickly.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=3579
Unread 03-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #3214
cx
Moderator emeritus

Justin, I've merged your thread into the thread Jim was recommending above. Look back through this thread and you'll find lots of discussion of mortar mixes.

You will also find recipes in the Shower Construction thread in our Liberry.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #3215
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

You may also find the beginning of time in this thread, if you go to page 1...... Those are dial-up posts!
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #3216
Just In Tile LLC

Justin, nice name by the way
If you're gonna mix from scratch a good starting point is:
1-1-4 ratio

1 -type 2/II cement
1 - lime
4 - sand

Having said that I regularly use type N mortar mix from Lowes in 60 lb bags. https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-60...ar-Mix/3006083

My local lowes used to carry quikrete scratch and brown base coat https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-80...co-Mix/3043247 which is awesome premade mud.

Personally I wouldn't mix my own wall mud because even the Type N mortar mix gets the job done well and is so much easier to just add to my mixer and then water. But my shower floor mud I always mix old school sand and cement 5:1 ratio because it performs/tools WAY better than anything I can locally get pre bagged.
Unread 03-19-2022, 03:30 AM   #3217
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I totally agree with Justin. 1-1-4 is what I'd start with. I also use a lot of bagged mud but making it from scratch is much cheaper. You might have a problem finding the right sand for good wall mud. Check your local masonry supply for plaster sand.

I've been told that the Qwikcrete scratch and brown can be ordered from any Home Depot or other store that has Qwikcrete products. If you use a lot of it, it might be worth ordering a pallet and storing it in your garage. I've done that before. For me, after ordering, I had to wait about a week for them to get it in.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #3218
cx
Moderator emeritus

My favorite sand for deck mud or fat mud has always been what I can get from my local redi-mix concrete company. Most recently, for other purposes, I got a couple yards for 30 bucks. Very informal transaction with whomever is working the desk.

Really useful sand if you've got a way to haul and store it and we generally keep a pile on the property.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #3219
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've probably mentioned this years ago but when I was in high school in East Texas, my dad would get his sand from a Redi Mix company. The first time my dad took a look at their huge pile of sand and realized it was just right for making mud, he went in and talked to the folks in the office. He only needed maybe a half yard at a time and sometimes only a few buckets full. They didn't know what to charge him for it so they both agreed to a pound of coffee grounds each trip in. I remember several times having to run into a store and buying a pound of coffee so we could go get some sand. They said that they were always running out of coffee in the office so this should fix that.

Having good handling mud is the key. I bought some Sakcrete or other brand on my last job and one of the walls was out of plumb pretty bad. The sand in the mud was a little too fine and the mud was close to sliding off into the floor. I had to baby it and let it set up a little while I mudded another wall and we eventually got it done. The grit of the sand is very important. I can mud a wall much faster when the mud works well. I don't think some of these companies understand what good mud is. Qwikcrete is the closest I've found.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 03-19-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Unread 03-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #3220
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
In a sand and gravel lot fat mud sand is usually referred to as masonry sand, the same sand used to make brick mortar.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #3221
90sKid

You Gentlemen are fantastic. There is no one around me that floats walls. In my mind, if I’m going to start the trade, start it right. I’m sure it’s hard work but I want to Learn it. I will look into all of this for sure. Thanks again.

Unread 03-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #3222
90sKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just In Tile LLC View Post
Justin, nice name by the way
If you're gonna mix from scratch a good starting point is:
1-1-4 ratio

1 -type 2/II cement
1 - lime
4 - sand

Having said that I regularly use type N mortar mix from Lowes in 60 lb bags. https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-60...ar-Mix/3006083

My local lowes used to carry quikrete scratch and brown base coat https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-80...co-Mix/3043247 which is awesome premade mud.

Personally I wouldn't mix my own wall mud because even the Type N mortar mix gets the job done well and is so much easier to just add to my mixer and then water. But my shower floor mud I always mix old school sand and cement 5:1 ratio because it performs/tools WAY better than anything I can locally get pre bagged.

That type N is as good as far mud?

Unread 03-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #3223
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I think Justin would rather have the scratch and brown mud but the type N will work. The type N is usually used for brick and blocks, the scratch and brown is a little richer, courser, will get harder and is easier to mud walls with in my opinion.

I've used many pallets of the scratch and brown and it gets very hard with little to no cracking.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 03-20-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Unread 03-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #3224
90sKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
I think Justin would rather have the scratch and brown mud but the type N will work. The type N is usually used for brick and blocks, the scratch and brown is a little richer, courser, will get harder and is easier to mud walls with in my opinion.

I've used many pallets of the scratch and brown and it gets very hard with little to no cracking.

So you put that on, trowel it the add more when you float?

Unread 03-20-2022, 08:00 PM   #3225
Just In Tile LLC

The convenience of bagged mud far outweighs any cost savings when buying everything individual to me. I typical shower costs me about $80 of Type N, and ripping a bag open and throwing it in my mixer is just sweet.

I use Type N exclusively, but like Davy said the scratch and brown is what I'd use if it came back into stock where I'm at. He originally told me about the scratch and brown a couple years ago and I really liked it. But again I don't really have any issues with Type N, it's great mud, sticks well, hangs just fine, and stacks easy on the job.

It's also 60lbs not 80lbs bags which I can say I enjoy when I move it around. 80lb is pretty brutal... let's not even talk about 90+ lbs bags of portland type 2.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase