Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #16
Jake12

Smile

Is the counter supporting too?
I’ll look into a small shelf. That would seem to give it some support.

Nice work on the shower.
Thanks.

Jake or Scott is fine.
Unread 12-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Nope, the vanity top is not supporting the half wall.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #18
Jake12

Moving slow but sure.
Installing the Ditra Heat and anticipating correct thin set to lay tile on top of the Ditra Heat. 12 x 24 porcelain.
I’ve worked with Versabond LFT. Is that appropriate in this situation?
I believe I confirmed it on other threads but also see comments that Ditra and Ditra Heat are different.
Understand the warranty is out but have used Versabond on my other Kerdi projects with no issues. Just first time with Ditra Heat.
Thanks

Scott
Unread 01-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #19
ss3964spd

Regular Versabond, or VB LFT will do the trick, Scott, I used regular VB to install 12X24's on toppa Ditra Heat. Worked great. I did pre-fill my Ditra Heat mat.
Unread 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #20
Jake12

Excellent

Can you clarify “prefill”? Is that like burning in some thinset to fill voids and then troweling over that all at same time or filling it with a smooth layer letting dry and then putting troweled layer on?
Thinking it’s the first but made me think a bit.
Thanks
Unread 01-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #21
ss3964spd

Schluter says you can fill the Ditra and lay tile all at once.

I say I was confident that I wasn't competent enough to do so, at least not without making a giant mess. So I opted to install the cable then pre-fill the Ditra completely. I let the VB cure for a number of days.

Due to the thickness of the VB I found it shrank a bit after curing so, because I'm a little ODC-ish, I skimmed on another coat. In hind sight the second coat was likely unnecessary but, well, OCD. A few days after the second coat I started setting tile. You might be able to make out the difference between the 1st and second coats in the photo below.
Attached Images

Unread 01-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Heeey! That's not no steenkin' Ditra.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #23
Jake12

CX
What do you suggest?

Thanks
Scott
Unread 01-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

Pay no attention to me, Scott. I was just picking on Dan a bit. His advice is always sound, which is why the site owners hired him and pay him the big bucks, eh?

Unread 01-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #25
Jake12

So the bonding strength is the same if I do the skim coat to fill the voids and let dry then set tile?
Does seem to make the process more manageable. So I can focus on keeping wires in tact and fill the voids.
I’m leaning towards the LFT so do I have to use same thin set for both steps or can I use regular Versabond for first coat then LFT for tile?

Thanks guys for all the help and input.
Unread 01-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #26
cx
Moderator emeritus

Schluter prefers that the voids be filled while the tiles are being set, Scott, but they also condone pre-filling the voids and setting the tiles as two separate operations.

They even "allow" you to use modified thinset mortar for filling the voids if that's then allowed to cure before setting the tiles, where they require an unmodified mortar. In reality, it needn't be all that complicated and you could use either of the mortars you mentioned for either of the operations, you'd just not benefit from Schluter's warranty, which you'd not benefit from in any case.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #27
Jake12

Ok. Thanks Dan & CX. I have a day or two to contemplate and firm up the plan. Your input is a big help.

Scott
Unread 01-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #28
ss3964spd

Remember, Scott, that the thinset mortar doesn't actually "bond" to the Ditra (Heat), it is mechanically held in place by the way the columns and channels are formed.

The VB LFT you contemplate using has, I believe, a larger aggregate than does regular VB, and that larger aggregate is what helps the LFT mortar prevent LFT tiles from sinking into the mortar under their own weight. The thicker the mortar layer the more prone the tiles will be to sinking. The larger aggregate might also help reduce shrinkage.

I used a 3/8" slant notch trowel for setting all my 12x24 tiles, as well as a lippage control system, so never had that sinking feeling using regular VB.

In the end prefilling the Ditra (twice!) was an anxiety reduction method for this relatively inexperienced tile setter. Didn't have to worry about ensuring the voids were completely filled, or about combing wet mortar out of the voids, or about nicking the cable, all while simultaneously setting tile and ensuing good coverage. Only down side were the extra hours involved.

Don't forget to test your heat cable before, during, and after.
Unread 02-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #29
Jake12

Got an issue. My drain bottomed out when I was putting it in place. Not sure why but it would not go any lower. I thought I had the 11/4” space. But it was not going any deeper. At the time I thought it was close enough but now that I’ve grouted it’s leaving a puddle.
Any options short of tearing out? Had plenty of slope just got the tiles by drain too low I guess.
Was so concerned with all comments about difficulty of laying pennies and counted on ease of the adjustable Kerdi drain. Should have backed up then but that was then. Very frustrating.
Attached Images

Unread 02-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #30
ss3964spd

Even if you could lower the drain you'd have to remove some of the area around it to do so. I don't see any other options.

Squeegee?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase