Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You say it's coming out in the area where you stand. I doubt the force of the water is causing the problem. Anytime tiles move, the grout is the first thing to break loose. Eventually tiles come loose.

When you remove the grout, are there any loose tiles?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
capriceragtop

I see no loose tiles. I've tried wiggling some in the area where the grout fails first, but I see no movement.
Unread 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #18
bellabella

Looks like it might be a grout problem. Since you have had to redo this so many times I would recommend making a sample board and testing the grout, the mix and your process. Make it up let it cure out then stick in the shower for awhile, let it dry out and put it in the shower again. This should tell you the grout is ok.
Maybe use a different grout as well.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

www.bellavistatile.com
bellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #19
clifton clowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriceragtop
The tiles were installed using unmodified thinset. It was Laticrete, either the 277 or 317, I think
The 317 datasheet is explicit that it must be modified for use with porcelain or mosaic tiles.

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/pr...171212T164510Z
Unread 04-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #20
Kman

I would like to see how the grout is coming out. Typically when it's due to movement, I see the grout separate from the edge of the tile. There may be some cracks crossing the grout joint, but mostly along the edge.

If there are chunks coming out within the grout joint at random places, movement wouldn't be my first guess. What also leads me in a different direction is this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey
I should note, the area that washes out first is the one where the water impacts the tile as it flows out of the shower head
If it's confined to that area, it's suggestive of a breaking down of the grout as opposed to movement. Not conclusive, mind you, but suggestive.

Bailey, I know it's frustrating, but given the situation, I would choose a different grout, one of the premium ones, and grout it one more time, and here's why:

If the problem is the result of movement, there really isn't an easy answer. If it's loose tile, then you'll have to pull them, and the chance of doing that without damaging the membrane after this long is pretty slim. If it's the membrane, the tray, subfloor, joists, alignment of the planets, or anything else, you're most likely looking at some serious demolition anyway.

So that's why grouting once more with a different and higher quality grout seems like the most logical choice at this point.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #21
Eschbach
Tile Contractor-Virginia

I have been using Power Grout for about 6-7 years now and only had one failure.I love the stuff and it works well.The failure was with a dark gray color,I can't remember the name.My local dealer told me that the only issues they have heard about are the darker grouts.The grout failure had cracks in the grout and some chunks had fallen out.It took about 2 months for the issues to happen.TEC has a clear grout hardener made by another company that you paint on and wipe off the tile.It maintains their warranty and customer received a letter from TEC stating this was a permanent fix and not a patch.

Virginia Installer of Schluter Kerdi and Kerdi Board Waterproof Showers

Excellence is no accident
Eschbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
capriceragtop

I am open to other grout options. What do you guys suggest? I'm in a decent-sized market, and know the two big tile suppliers, so I know I can get Laticrete and most of the major brands.
Unread 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #23
Lou_MA

See post 7
Unread 04-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
capriceragtop

Ok, a bit more of an update.

I spoke with Glenna at TEC and her thought was either a poor mix, as I was using a partial bag instead of whole, or perhaps it cured too quickly, given these were small grout lines.

Her suggestion was either mix a whole bag of Powergrout, or go with the Accucolor, unfunded, and add in the Grout Boost.

My question for you fine folks is if I should still pursue other brands, or perhaps give the Accucolor and Grout Boost a shot?

Any idea on whether or not the other premiere grouted cure quickly or not?

I have no issue waiting a whole week before using the shower again, so long as i don't have to bust out the dremel and grout bit again!
Unread 04-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #25
Lou_MA

Don’t mix a whole bag of powergrout. You’ll most likely be pitching most of it after it turns your bucket into an anchor.

I’m not a big fan of adding anything other than water when mixing grout. If you have a problem, now you’ll have two companies pointing the finger at each other or you.

Permacolor Select has a pretty good working time, I’ve found about half hour. Mix with cold water to extend it.

Or use AccuColor and seal with something like miracle 511.
Unread 04-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #26
capriceragtop

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to chuck most of the grout, anyway. There's just no other projects I need it for, and my distributor says that the 10lb bag of grout is only about $5 cheaper than the 25lb
Unread 04-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
capriceragtop

Well folks, after talking with the supply house and Glenna at TEC, I ended up going with Accucolor and Grout Boost.

The supply house said the Laticrete product would not work on 1/16" grout lines,

Glenna's thoughts were the Powergrout was possibly curing too quickly, leaving it a bit weaker than usual. She suggested I either dampen the grout lines prior to using Powergrout, or go with the Accucolor, as it needs much longer to cure.

I noticed the Accucolor "highly recommends" damp curing, covering the tile with kraft paper and occasionally misting it. Thoughts? There's no guideline, so how often should I mist it?

Wish me luck!
Unread 04-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #28
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Did you mean to mist the kraft paper? I have seen wet paper stain grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
capriceragtop

According the the Accucolor label, it does say to mist the kraft paper occasionally.

Sounds odd, but it also says it is "highly recommended."

I have a spray bottle and have it set to a very fine spray. It is damp, but just barely. Definitely not dripping or soggy
Unread 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #30
Lou_MA

Just FYI, your supply house is wrong about Permacolor and 1/16” joints:

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/pr...171212T164508Z

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase