Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
mmoogie
Steve Zerby Design/Build

Ardex WA epoxy grout curing time, product inconsistency

Has anyone here had much experience with Ardex WA epoxy grout? I am grouting marble tile with it.

The first two buckets went about as expected, after viewing videos and reading the instructions. I had to buy two more buckets than what the tile store sold me at the start of the job, as I went through what they estimated in no time. The hardener/pigmnent in the second two buckets was very different in composition and consistency from the the first two buckets, and it is setting up much slower.

With the first two batches the harder/pigment had separated into a grit on the bottom and a thick oily liquid on top. I mixed it thoroughly and is seemed to work fine. I had a hard time cleaning it as fast as it set up though, causing much stress.

The new batch, the hardener/pigment is a very creamy consistency, and uniform color and texture. No separation at all. Which is what it looks like in the videos I watched online. But it is setting up very slowly, making it hard to get to the point where I can scrub on the haze as vigorously as I was able to much earlier with the previous batches. I was worried that maybe they had only put the pigment in the bucket and no hardener. But after four hours now it is finally stiffening up.

Is this the normal behavior? With the first batches, if I wasn’t done cleaning by three hours from mixing it, it was done.
Unread 04-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Your first batches may have been old (there's usually a date code on the packaging somewhere), or they were stored somewhere and froze.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase