Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-09-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
Boe

Send a message via AIM to Boe Send a message via Yahoo to Boe
basement jacuzzi tub/shower

Hey guys!
I'm getting ready to install my brother in-laws basement jacuzzi tub/shower....
The tub he purchased drains in the center and is lipped (so it can be mounted in a platform). I understand that this means the tub has to have the wall constructed so that the cbu recesses the tub. Here's the problem:
Drain is on the wall side of the tub and the wall is the block foundation.
There has to be at least 6" clearance to install tub drain to floor drain (as requested by plumber).
1- Is it acceptable (any best practices?) to build 3/4 of the wall then a ledge 6" (or so) the remainder down to the tub?
2- Any possible (read: won't leak water) method to provide a service acess in the ledge for future drain service? (So as to not have to tear one out and redo tile)
Here is a little picture:
Attached Images

Boe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-09-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Boe, first off is this a self rimming tub with a shower head? We were going over this a few days ago on Josh Lapp's thread. You can read up on it if you want, it may help.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Boe,

I'm not getting the picture, and I don't think the others will, either. I don't understand what the 6 inch requirement is for. The tub drain itself usualy runs under the tub but above the subfloor until it goes into the overfllow tube, which in turn goes into the trap. So are you asking where the trap should be installed?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Boe

Send a message via AIM to Boe Send a message via Yahoo to Boe
bad pic

my bad ... bad pic! funny how it's crystal clear when you see it in your own head.

The picture is of the short side of the tub looking back to front.

The 6" is for access between the tub and wall (vertical red line) to make the physical drain hookup (slipping the pipes together). The tub drain/overflow is in the middle (length-wise) of the tub on the side closest to the block wall. The question I have is concerning building a shelf/wall say about 10" (??) from the tub up, then closer to the block wall (2x2 studs) to the ceiling. Otherwise, I have to hold the whole wall out from the block at least 6" (to allow room to get my hands in to connect the tub drain to the house) which will look odd. The toilet sets in front of the tub then the vanity then the door. This was an existing shower stall bathroom.

I'm going to look at Josh's thread now

TY
Boe
Boe is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase