Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
gpreissler
Gary

Cement backerboard to shower base flange

I have installed (thin set to CBU) a Tile Basin shower base (34 x 56) with a 5-inch flange. There is about a 1/2 inch gap on each of the side walls which does not allow the backer board (not installed yet) on the walls to fit inside the flange without a serious bend. The installation instruction shows the use of firring strips to build out the stud to allow the backer to set inside the flange. My problem is if I build out the studs this would create a 1/2-inch difference in the shower area surface compared to the drywall (installed) outside of the shower which I intend to tile. The flange is 1/8-inch plastic and the backer board will fit between the stud and the flange to the floor. Is there any other way to create a waterproof joint between the flange and the backer board, since they are flush, without having the backer extending inside the flange and how should the vapor barrier be installed in this case.

Thanks,

Gary
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd consider notching the lower section of the studs so that the flange from the pan end up flush with the walls, then, no bowing! It really doesn't take long...set your circular saw depth to the needed cutout, make a few passes, then using a chisel, knock out that area.

Run the vapor barrier down the wall and inside of the flange. If most of the tile will be supported on the cbu (i.e., you aren't using small tiles), then you can stop the cbu at the flange instead of going over it and let the tile overhang into the pan.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
gpreissler
Gary

Thanks for your quick reply.

But, I don't understand how cutting the studs would help. I seems to me that a greater gap between the stud and the flange would increase the bow in the cbu.
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Basically, recess the flange of the pan into the stud wall so the inner surface is flush with the outside of the stud...then, it is a straight line down the wall for the cbu to overlap into the pan over its flange.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
gpreissler
Gary

I now understand what you meant, but the problem is that the pan is already 1/2-inch inside the stud leaving a gap between the stud and the pad. The 1/2 inch is just right to hang the cbu outside the flange up tight against the outside surface of the flange. Can a joint be made between the cbu and the flange with the cbu outside the flange?

Sorry for the confusion.
Unread 04-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
garypo

Will notching the studs work? If you notch the studs you can push the tub back and to one side but then the other side has a 1 inch gap.

gary
garypo is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase