Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Craig1

Deflect-O-Lator Rating Help

I went into the Deflect-O-Lator with my measurements and my inches on center is much larger than the drop-down menu allows. Here are my joist measurements: 5.5" tall; 3.5" wide; 7' long between supports and 48" on center in Douglas Fir. My subfloor information is: 1 1/2" thick T&G floor boards which are 5" wide. The subfloor runs perpendicular to the joists. Can you work this Deflect-O number out for me? If lower than L/720 what would I need to do to bring it up to L/720?
Craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Craig,

48" on center joist spacing is way too much for tile or stone. I think you will need to add some joists.
Unread 04-21-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
bbcamp

I agree, that subfloor and framing scheme is fine for ceramic tile, but won't work for natural stone. You would have to install doubled 2x6s (or a 4x6) from each post (these will be parallel to the subfloor planks), then 2x6s connecting these new beams so they are on 16" centers. See sketch below:
Attached Images

bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Craig1

Deflect-0-Lator Rating Help

Thank you for your replies. They were very useful. We're going to go with porcelain tile. Would a suitable underlayment for it be 5/8" exterior grade plywood screwed to subfloor then 1/4" cement board screwed and thin-set to plywood then tile, thin-set to cement board? Please advise on thin-set types at both levels. I would like to use Laticrete products. Would like to get your input.
Craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
bbcamp

5/8" plywood screwed to the planks, then backerboard embedded in UN-modified thinset, then modified thinset for the tiles will work. I am not familiar with the Laticrete line of products, but you can use the cheapest UN-modified thinset for embedding the backerboard, and a mid-priced modified thinset for the tiles. You don't really need the higher priced products for your project.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase