Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
hazzyy

Two cement walls, one cbb wall

Hey guys,

I've done a lot of showers for customers but this one has me with a brain fart. I'm trying to figure out what to do to make this right. Keep in mind that this is for my own house, not a customer and also I currently live in a country where there is no building code and inspections. I'm building according to code since that what I'm used to but in this case I just need something that works. Both bathrooms in my house are in the same situation.

What I have are two cement block walls in the shower. A side wall and the back wall of the shower. The third wall is 2x4 framing with CBB. I will be waterproofing with RedGuard. But I'm having a brain fart trying to figure out how to get my pvc shower pan liner waterproofed properly on the cement block walls. The 2x4 wall is a no brainer, as usual the pvc liner will go behind the CBB up the wall 8 inches. But what ideas do you have for the cement walls?

I could attempt to glue or epoxy the pvc liner to the cement walls? I could use a grinder and recess the bottom of the cement wall and set the liner there and then cement over it? Other ideas?

If none of this makes sense I'll post pics of it later. For now I'm attaching a snapshot from my sketchup of the house. The orange line points to the 2x4 wall. The red lines point to the cement walls. The yellow line is the area in question regarding what to do with the shower pan liner. Looking forward to your ideas.
Attached Images

Do it right the first time!
hazzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Why not switch to a sheet style membrane like Kerdi or Durock? You'd need to change drain.

My seat-of-pants analysis: I'd be inclined to put foam board on at least the block walls if not fur them out. Would not want to depend on an installation directly on and foundation wall, block or poured. Not to mention the insulation and isolation that it could provide.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd glue the pan liner to the concrete walls at the bottom and then fur out the concrete walls with furring strips down to the pan liner. Then screw the CBU to the strips extending it down over the pan liner.

Install your furring strips plumb and flat so the CBU will be the same.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 10-03-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
hazzyy

I have a bunch of NobelDeck left over. I'm thinking of thinsetting this to the vertical and using it instead of Oatey Shower Pan Liner for the shower pan. The NobleDeck will for sure adhere to the cement wall. I won't thinset it to the top or bottom of the motar bed. Does anyone know if NobleDeck can be used for a shower pan liner? I've searched their site and the web with no luck. I know it's over kill and no one would purchase NobleDeck for a shower pan liner when they sell cheaper products but since I have some left over I'm wondering if it'll work.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not gonna be the easiest material to use in that application, Barry, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. I'd want to use it as it's intended, though, as a direct bonded waterproofing membrane, rather than just trying to fold it as a traditional pan liner. The build-up at the overlaps would be a bit dramatic as compared to something like USG Durock Shower System membrane, but with larger tiles you might be able to overcome that. Think I'd save the Noble Deck and buy a thinner shower membrane were it mine, but that's up to you.

I'll see can we get our Noble rep in here to take a look at your question.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
hazzyy

I'd like to hear their answer. Problem is I don't live in the States anymore. I'm in Central America and it's not like I can just go to a big box store and purchase items. I have to have stuff shipped down by sea. The locals think I'm over building yada yada...but I like to do stuff right. Thanks.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, wherever you are (would help if you'd put that geographic location in your User Profile) I'll wager Amazon ships there and Amazon has the Durock Shower membrane available, along with the drain, which is all you need.

Still don't think I'd wanna bond directly to your CMU walls, but if you were to float them flat and plumb it might work OK.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Not real sure what the question is but.... Nobledeck can defiantly be used as a shower pan.

Nobledeck could be ,either bonded or loose layed . If the corners are folded they will bump you out approx. 1/8" if so you will need to plan accordingly. We do have pre made corners, that are a bit thinner.

Redguard will bond/stick to the Nobledeck.

Re-read it again, are you thinking tuck Nobledeck being the backerboard on all walls except the Block, where it would be bonded? I have never done that but cant see why not...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase