Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
rudyrock

Modifying Kerdi niche

Hi All

After deciding to build my own niche, i have come across a challenge or maybe i'm the challenged one ;-) I have searched the site and didn't find a good description of my issue. Maybe its common sense... but that is very uncommon according to Mark Twain.

I am ready to build the niche to fit the stud bay/plumbing constraints but before i mess up I need to ask a few questions.

My tile is Anatolia 3/8", 11 3/4 x 23 3/4 Will be Installed vertically with 1/8 grout joints. I want the grout joints to line up vertically; not possible to fit to horizontal joints due to stud bay & plumbing restraints I'll be using Jolly trim around the niche. Ill use the 3/8" tile for the niche sides and for top of niche and marble for middle and bottom shelf.

I need to figger out the dimensions of the niche box to fit the short side of the tile and then the best way to come up with an accurate way to measure to line up the verticals.

Help appreciated thx
Unread 09-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
Kman

I'm not sure I understand everything about your last question, but hopefully this tells you what you need to know.

I always do a dry layout on the floor for something like that. If you try to go by measuring individual tiles and add 1/8" for grout joints, you'll be off a little.

Measure, then check, re-check, and re-re-check your measurements. Make sure you use the actual spacers you plan to use during the installation to get everything as accurate as possible.

Niches are a tough thing to get exactly right. Some installers chose not to install them until they have the tile installed on the wall up to that point, so they can get the spacing just right. That's another option.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #18
rudyrock

Modifying Kerdi niche

Kman

Thanx for the suggestion.
Ill clear an area on the floor and dry fit w spacers, Jolly trim and all. Hadn't thought of that one. It s just that 1/8 joint doesn't give much wiggle room for error. Dont want to start tiling first, just think that might get me in trouble, but i see the advantage to that as well. Nothing but respect for you pros... who do this everyday.
Unread 09-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
rudyrock

Modifying Kerdi niche +

Same project as Niche
Find my Kerdi shower pan was cut 1/2 short on the curb side. Now how did that happen: :scratch

Anyway I am thinking that I will fill that 36" x 1/2" space with deck mud. Hope I can find Mapei mud tomorrow. Hate to buy 94 lbs of cement for this little oops. Thought I would use the curb as a batter board against which I would stuff in the mud. Or maybe there is another alternative.... putting the cutoff piece of pan back and kerdi fixing it Or?
Thx
Unread 09-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Lou_MA

Thinset the cutoff piece back in. Or if you’ve got extra 1/2” Kerdi board just cut a strip and thinset it in place.
Unread 09-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #21
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

For the niche, I usually add 1/8 inch onto my measurements for a safety net. Then the tile will usually hang past just a small amount. Then any gap gets filled in flat with thinset once the tile dries.
Unread 10-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #22
rudyrock

Modifying Kerdi niche +

Same project;: Reviewing Schluter install guide just before installing shower tray...and I see an asterisk...pg 14 says "when installing stainless steel drain the membrane is adhered to the bonding flange with Kerdi fix"

I have a stainless drain. Is this something you all have done ? Maybe some sort of chemical reaction concern?

At least I have not mixed thin set yet

Was gonna install today and then this.....
Unread 10-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #23
rudyrock

OK so I called Schluter. They explained they make a stainless flange which i was not aware of. The asterisk on pg 14 of the install manual refers to the flange not the cover.... unclear what they referred to but im good to go now
Unread 10-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #24
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just mix your mortar on the thin side to prevent build up, Rudy.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
rudyrock

Smile

thanx Dan pan is in and drying. Seems I always mix the mortar thin anyways

Rudy

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase