Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
clifton clowers

Grout for 1/32" joints

Can anyone make a recommendation for a grout that works well with 1/32" joints? The installation is about 250 square feet of 6"x3" subway tile on kitchen walls.

Fwiw, on the floor (with 1/16" joints) I used Prism which worked fine (and I have a bunch left over). But that is not recommended for joints smaller than 1/16".
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Lou_MA

Permacolor NS
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Another vote for Permacolor Select NS.
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
CaliGrown

Industry calls for 1/16” minimum, but unsanded is your friend with stacked joints.
Mapei and Customs unsanded are available at the box stores. Siena makes a good one if you have access to it.
When grouting, leave it on the heavy side and let it get it’s initial set before washing so you don’t washout the joints/color and leave voids.
Unread 08-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
clifton clowers

Thanks. Permacolor NS looks like what I am looking for.

Unfortunately, the nearest Siena distributor is about 2000 miles from here.
Unread 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
clifton clowers

Clicking Sound from Tile Wall

Several months ago, I installed a tile wall. I screwed 1/2" Hardiebacker to the studs using 2 1/4" Backer-on screws (long because some of the studs needed furring strips, and I wanted to be sure the screws were into the studs at least an inch) at least every 8 inches, 6 inches on edges, taped and thinset the seams, installed 6x3 ceramic tile with Ardex X77 thinset using a 1/4" x 3/16" V-notch trowel and back buttering every tile. I generally trowel enough mortar on the wall to do 6 to 8 tiles, and coverage on removed tiles looks to be near 100%. And I only mix enough mortar to be used within about 2 hours.

I also sponge down the wall before spreading mortar, and mix the mortar slightly wet (but still within the manufacturer's suggested mixing ratio) due to the Hardie.

When pressed (such as when pressing a tile into place) the wall made clicking sounds - the sort of thing you hear in a wall as a house settles.

I grouted the wall after waiting 2 days, and after grouting the clicking sounds increased considerably (after pushing the grout into the joints), but stopped after a few minutes.

A month or two later, pressing the wall did not cause and noises.

Several months later, for obscure reasons, the wall needed to be taken down and redone. I initially hoped I could salvage the Hardie, but when I tried to remove tiles, either the tiles shattered or they pulled a bug hunk of Hardie off. None of them seemed loose and in no case was I able to cleanly remove a tile, and it seemed as if the mortar was the strongest part of the install.

So now for the question - I have finally gotten around to reinstalling the wall, and I am having the same clicking and popping noises. Is this normal? Is it something to worry about, and if so, is there something in my methodology that seems incorrect?
Unread 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

What tiles are you using? Brand name, make and model.

Some tiles will make that sound after being set with no need to apply any pressure at all. Just the glaze cracking on a soft bodied tile.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
clifton clowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Just the glaze cracking on a soft bodied tile.
Bingo! It's the tiles crazing (which I knew they were supposed to do - it's a feature, not a bug) with moisture, not pressure.
Unread 08-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You have to be careful when selecting a grout color. A contrasting color may soak into those cracks and not clean out. Years ago we had a few customers that wanted dark grout in the white 4x4 Mexican hand painted tiles. They liked the look of all the crazing cracks turning dark.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase