Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Think I'd not try the teflon tape there, Jim, just a little pipe dope to lubricate a bit and maybe help it seal. But neither is recommended by the manufacturer.

I prefer the threaded connection in that application.

I've no experience yet with the Shark Bite fittings and I'm still a bit leery of them.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd also be leery of reusing the compression fittings, but a tiny bit less so if I reused the valves currently in place, keeping them on the same pipes you took them off from. However, since you mentioned that two of the pipes are too short to cut and install new fittings onto, keep in mind that if you do roll the dice you won't know if reuse will work until after you install your new drywall.

Since I see insulation, are some of those supply lines on an exterior wall? If so, and if your area experiences freezing temps, you'll want to be meticulous with your insulation.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #33
jamesb2

CX: I agree that I'm leery of push-to-connect fittings except for temporary usage. However, I think folks are starting to use them where you can get at them (don't seal them in the wall). It looks like all the manufacturers make them now.

Dan: Yep. I'm leaning to putting the same valves back on and crossing my fingers. Get to it early in the morning to give me plenty of time for multiple trips to the hardware store. And yes, one exterior wall, but not the one you would think. The pictured insulated wall (sink) is interior...not sure why they insulated? The toilet is the true exterior wall and I will be making sure to re-insulate.
Unread 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #34
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I will quite often (dare I say routinely? ) reuse the nut and the compression ring when installing new valves. And be sure to replace with 1/4 ball seal type.

You may be able to work off the old ring so you can replace both. Give it a try and let use know how it comes out.

Insulation may be for sound dampening. I insulated my bathroom interior wall to rescue the sound of my kids late night showers.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #35
jamesb2

PC: Thanks for the input. I'll report back once I decide and execute.

Now, I need my electrician friend to get some time for me. I decided to leave the shocky/burn down the house stuff to a professional. I think I can do it, but I thought it better to leave it to someone that knows they can do it.
Unread 10-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #36
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
PC is braver than I, as I wouldn't install new valves onto already crushed/deformed compression sleeves. Though the seat surface and angle of the new valve should be the same as the old, if it isn't because of manufacturing tolerances it may not seal. If the old valves are the cheepo builder grade, multi turn with plastic stems, absolutely bin those and install the 1/4 turn ball valves PC mentioned.

I do the same whenever I have an interior wall open; insulate it for sound reduction.

For that toilet line in the exterior wall, you might consider sealing the exterior sheathing to the studs first, which will help reduce any exterior air from entering the wall cavity. Also try to keep the copper supply line as physically close to the back of the drywall as possible, which will allow it to absorb some heat from the drywall.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase