Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
wolfeda16

Drop-In Tub Install

Hello All,

Working on remodeling my master bathroom and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whirlpool tub install. Previously had a 72"x36" (pink!) drop in whirlpool tub installed in the corner, with two sides pushed up against the studs. Due to budget constraints and the fact that we'll rarely use the tub, we are replacing with a smaller 60"x32" (white!) drop in tub. There will not be a shower head, tub only.

This is where the questions start. Since the new tub is smaller, there is room to not push it against the studs, and instead have a small deck area all the way around, rather than going the "add-on tiling flange behind the tile" method. Since the new tub is 4" narrower, we could in theory have about a 3" deck between the tub and wall. Is this wide enough, or will it cause water issues, since if water landed on this area, there'd be nowhere for it to go? I don't want to end up with a valley of standing water back there. Am I better off using the add-on tiling flange and pushing the new tub against the studs like before?

Second question... The installation instructions for the tub (Eljer Cascada) talk about integral leveling feet. Are they talking about the little squares of styrofoam attached to the bottom? Or is that just shipping materials? They also talk about setting the tub bottom into a bed of mortar...If those stryofoam "feet" stay on, do they go into the mortar, or is the mortar intended to fill in the area where the feet are not supporting? It's all a bit confusing, and the customer service line appears to be closed for the holidays.

Hopefully that's enough info to get started, let me know if anything is unclear. Thanks!

Last edited by cx; 12-30-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Light up link
wolfeda16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dave.

Please verify that the link I added to your post is the tub you're dealing with.

1. Question best answered by Mrs. Dave.

If you leave a "deck" area, you'll want to be sure to waterproof that area well.

2. I'm sure they'll tell you somewhere in your instructions to remove the packing material, which will include those Styrofoam "feet." They're not gonna invite you to use any kind of foam to support the tub.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
wolfeda16

Yes, that's the correct tub in the link. Interestingly enough, the installation instructions at that link are different than the ones in my box (rev b vs Rev d). The ones in the link say the tub height is half an inch different than my paper version. Anyway, I'll remove the styrofoam, I knew that didn't seem right.

As far as the deck, I'm interpreting your response to mean that 3" is OK as long as properly waterproofed. If it were only an inch or so I'd be really worried about mold, but wasn't sure if 3" would be enough to be ok.

Thanks!
Unread 12-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
As far as the deck, I'm interpreting your response to mean that 3" is OK as long as properly waterproofed.
Well, it's OK with me without waterproofing if that's what you wanna do. There is no right and wrong here as far as industry standards are concerned. Without a shower it's not considered a wet area. Were it mine, I'd consider it a wet area anyway. Up to you.

I also don't agree with their instructions to have the lip of the tub sitting on the surface of the deck, but it's their product and they can specify anything they want, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

We also prefer to set out tubs about 1/8" above the deck to allow for the 100% silicone caulking to fit in between the tub and the deck, and not just on the surface (where it peels off)

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase