Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #16
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

I'm going to drop on in here with something that will (hopefully) help you make your decision Mario. In the 4 years of working at MAPEI in Technical, right alongside the Claims Dept. I can tell you Flexcolor CQ scratching a material is not a complaint we really get here. When we do hear about it, it's typically a very soft marble, or stainless steel tile. It would take a very, very soft glass for the aggregate in CQ to scratch, and we have had phenomenal luck with it. That being said, I did use the word aggregate, so yes there is potential for scratching, it's just not all that common.

To remove the scratching variable you could use a standard unsanded cement grout like Keracolor U, but I would either mix it with our Grout Maximizer in place of water, or seal the joints afterward.

Regardless of which grout you use, make sure you are using a brand new grout float that doesn't have any old dried grout on it. I can't tell you how many times I have seen sensitive surfaces scratched with X grout because the installer was using ole' reliable that has seen 100,000 sf plus of grout jobs and is still yet to be retired.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #17
SLMFD44

Thanks, Holden, great information once again, everyone here has been extremely helpful. I'm not going to lie, I got a good deal on the tile and it's only 4mm thick which is another thing that has me concerned that it isn't the strongest of tiles. Great advice, I'll be sure to heed it. I appreciate the reply.
Unread 10-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #18
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You might have a look at "Prism" grout from HD. Formulated to go from an eighth (or less) up to over 1/4"....I see less shrinkage than unsanded...and more "body."

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #19
SLMFD44

Thanks again, all. You've been a big help. Be well.
Unread 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #20
SLMFD44

Additive Necessary for Unsanded Grout?

Hi folks,

Quick question... We are using an unsanded grout for our kitchen glass tile backsplash. Do we need to use a grout additive (something called Grout Maximizer from Mapei)? Several people have mentioned it to us but I don't know if they're just trying to push a product or if it's really necessary. Appreciate your help. Thanks very much.
Unread 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you use a MAPEI grout and MAPEI recommends a particular additive as required, use it. If MAPEI says the additive is optional, you decide if you wanna use it.

If you are using a grout from a different manufacturer, don't mix it with anything not specifically recommended by that manufacturer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
SLMFD44

Thanks cx. When speaking with the Mapei reps, they "recommend" the grout maximizer. Since we've never done this before, I didn't know if a recommendation was a way of saying you really should use it or if they're just trying to sell their product. Decisions decisions... Thanks for the help.
Unread 12-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

I trust this is a cementitious grout you're planning to use? It's quite acceptable to name names on this website.

There are so very many problems with mixing and applying and cleaning cementitious grouts that anything that reduces the amount of water used in each step would be a plus to my thinking. Yeah, they're certainly trying to sell you more products, but in this case I'd be inclined to let them succeed.

If still in doubt, call their tech services number and express your concern. Those folks wanna sell more products, too, but in my experience they're also pretty good at giving you honest and useful information.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
SLMFD44

Hi again,

We're likely going to use the Mapei Keracolor grout. I like you're thinking - if we use the Grout Maximizer, it's less water in the mix. I appreciate the input. Thank you again.
Unread 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #25
SLMFD44

How much tile do we need?

Hi again folks,

I'm quite the novice, if you couldn't tell. Just when I think I'm about ready to install our kitchen backsplash... We have approximately 28 sq. ft. of wall space to be covered with backsplash. I purchased 32 sq. ft. of the 3x6 glass subway tiles. Was just speaking to a contractor who said I might not have enough tiles. I thought I was well covered with material being that I have 4 more square feet than wall space. Could anyone speak to this? As always, help is much appreciated. Be well.
Unread 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I've heard the number an extra 10%. That can be affected by the size, with larger tile, if one gets broken, it's a much bigger area, but I wouldn't be too worried about the extra you have. But, sometimes glass tiles can be tricky to cut, and depending on how complex things are around outlets, etc., you can end up with issues. IOW, it could be close, you might not need any extras, you might need more.

If the place you bought them from allows returns, wouldn't hurt to pick up some more as long as you can get them from the same lot. Some tile are pretty consistent between lots, some have some significant differences.

Maybe one of the pros will have a different thought.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #27
smifwal

I do 10% for straight lay and 15% for patterns and if we are ordering and not buying locally I add another 5% for pieces damaged in transit
Unread 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #28
Kman

You can actually take a couple of measurements and get an exact number. The entire length of the backsplash in feet, times two. Multiply that number by how many tile it takes to go from counter to cabinets. That's the bare minimum.

If you have few cuts, add 5%. If you have more than a few, or a lot, add 7-10%.

Like Jim said, if you can return individual tiles, it doesn't hurt to buy too many.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #29
SLMFD44

You guys are awesome, thanks for the replies. So if I go by simple calculations, with an extra 10%, that brings me to 30.2 square feet of tile needed (28 sf x 10%). Since I purchased 32 sq. ft, I hope that means I'm covered and then some. They come on sheets, though - would that make a difference? Again, many thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase