Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #436
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dave,

I've never seen a head quite that long, and I don't think I found a "description" tag or a "robots" tag. I would also refine the title a little. Other than that, it's a good lookin' site.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #437
Executive Flooring

For those of you using social media quite a bit, is there an app or program that allows you to update all of them at the same time? Im trying to work on updating my website and social media presence but when looking at the amount of time it takes to make the same post to multiple different sites, I figured there must be an easier way. Any info would be great! Thanks
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #438
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Everypost is one. Search "post multiple social media networks"
Unread 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #439
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

There was a few but they aren't worth the time. I used a bunch over the years until I figured out which ones were worth it.

Onlywire and LinksAlpha were ok. Now I just use the app for the sites that work.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #440
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I'm certainly not an SEO expert, but having the company name and location in the title tag is a must, I think. As to keywords and phrases, the top of the body is where to use them, in the first few lines of text. Then reinforce them further down the page. Google is constantly changing parameters, but some things are basic and do not change. Google bots "read" like humans from the top of the page on down. They "know" that many people don't read beyond the first or second paragraph.

Wish I had you working for me on social media but probably can't afford you.
Unread 11-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #441
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

So disappointing that no one called me out for bumping a 5 year old thread.

The reason that this is up is I was interviewed by Luke Miller of Tile Money fame and we got to talking about websites. This very thread is what led to me taking control of my local business website which also led to me starting my diy tile blog.

Much thanks to John for starting this thread and all that he has done for the tile community.

If you care, you can watch the interview here on youtube or look up tile money if you listen to podcasts on an app.

https://youtu.be/CvLKVhvPtWY

For the visitors coming from Facebook: read the first couple of pages (minimum) in this thread. It's still relevant today.

Also, start a profile, put a link to your site in the signature, and try to be helpful in the advice section. Helping others can get you some exposure with google and I've even landed a couple of jobs from people from my area that were looking for advice.

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 11-01-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #442
karlkatzke

Wow, can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread before! Some of this is still great advice and some of it is quite dated. Website hosting is what I do for work — I used to do it personally but you can get better deals from bigger companies these days and the work I do is better suited towards huge companies spending millions of dollars in data centers and cloud computing.

It’s nice to be able to give back a little bit, and for once I don’t feel bad for posting in the “professionals” forum ... this is along the lines of my profession.

The thing search engines have gotten quite a bit better at is context. So, if you’re exchanging links with someone, don’t just have a page of links like a “linkroll” or “webring” like we used to do in the late 90s. Do create a blog post or something that describes what you like about the other person’s work and have pictures and make sure there’s a date. This kind of thing is a lot of what the “blog” post format is about.

Do post regularly. Once every week or two weeks is enough. I found this forum via The Floor Elf. His website is a good example of doing it right. Even if you remove dates from your site because you’re too busy doing work to write about it, google still knows when you updated.

If you don’t like writing, hire a technical writer to interview you and write some blog posts with pictures you took. Should cost a couple hundred bucks. Once they get to know the topic, most technical writers can churn out multiple blog posts in an hour or two, and there’s plenty of starving technical writers.

Make sure whatever you’re using for a website (I’m a fan of Wordpress, and WPEngine) generates pages with names that look like “tileguy.com/what-to-do-if-your-shower-leaks” instead of “tileguy.com?id=3” ... the former will get picked up by search engines, and the latter won’t. Things like this and title tags and keywords are “entry stakes” (because everyone is doing them and they’re largely automated at this point) and you lose completely if you don’t do them.

Don’t have ads on your site except for yourself unless you’re hosting a forum like John.

Do comment on the blogs of other guys, and post to forums like this with your URL mentioned. The more mentions of your website you can get out there, the more search engines will rank you up. Unless you’re obviously spamming, in which case you’ll get removed entirely.

In that same vein... don’t try to pull a bunch of “Active SEO” tricks that someone sells you. It might work great at first but then trail off suddenly. The best thing to do is to maintain a real quiet “savings” approach for a really long time, and be seen with people who have similarly been around a while and have good rank. The canonical reference for how to get ranked highly on Google is here: https://support.google.com/webmaster.../7451184?hl=en ... and spoiler alert, it’s a bunch of long term effort that will produce consistent results, and you can’t pay anyone but Google to speed that up and Google wants more money than you’re willing to spend.

Do have other social media like Facebook and Instagram and YouTube ... have your helper show you how if you don’t know what those are. Find other tile guys who are doing these things. Get with them. Share videos and share links. The more other formats besides web that you’re on, the higher your rank.

As an example — Matt Risinger does super high end construction in Austin TX. He has a YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/MattRisinger

Another YouTube guy who occasionally renovates houses as a side gig brought Matt on as a guest: https://youtu.be/LocfvJXE9O0

That kind of thing drove traffic to both of their websites and channels, and the only thing Matt Risinger has publicly been out so far is a four hour drive and a promise of some future help.

Having other people help with this doesn’t have to cost you money. I got my start by helping parent’s friends and their friends navigate this new “web” thing twenty years ago.

"It’s not enough to be aware of the domain you’re working in, you need to understand it. Noticing things and being curious about how they work is the single most common trait I see in creative people. Once you can break the components down, you can put them back together into something brand new." - Seth Godin

Last edited by karlkatzke; 11-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.
karlkatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #443
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Thanks for helping bring this thread up to speed, Karl.
Unread 11-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #444
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Awesome post Karl!
Unread 11-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #445
CalgaryTileSetting

Talking Great valuable info Karl

Thanks for that post Karl.
While I've worked with computers and websites for quite a while, I've never really understood the "SEO" aspect of a website.
I recently rebuilt my site on Weebly, hired a content writer (best idea ever, and super cheap) and that brought me down the SEO rabbit hole where I found your post. Gave me a good direction on to what to do now.

I really appreciate your insight, enough so that I made myself an account to comment.

I'd be interested in getting feedback on my site if you get the chance.

Thanks again!

Calgary Tile Setting
CalgaryTileSetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #446
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Brendan!

Why not put a link to your new site in your signature line?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #447
CalgaryTileSetting

It appears I'm a bit too new to post any kind of link or signature.
But it'll come with time on the forum I guess.

Edit:
Took me a bit of playing around, but I got it sorted out for the signature! Thanks Tool Guy - Kg

I'm excited to get some better photographs of my own work and really put together a proper portfolio on the site. But as far as getting a site up for clients to call from, it seems to be doing the trick.

Calgary Tile Setting

Last edited by CalgaryTileSetting; 11-18-2019 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling, and update
CalgaryTileSetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #448
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi Brendan,

I put your name back in your signature along with your link.

P.S. Your site looks like it ought to work. I'm not much on SEO nowadays. Seems things have changed a little since this thread got started.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase