Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
jimship

Tiling a bath vanity top

Hi guys, new guy here looking for some guidelines to get started on tiling a bath vanity top. I'm having a hard time finding what is the best way to build the counter top.

I am going to tile our guest bath vanity. It's 56" wide with a single sink. I removed the old laminate top and I am ready to start building the new top.

My question is what is the typical build up (layers) look like - or tell me if I am close here. I am planning on starting with 3/4" plywood, then gluing and screwing 1/2" plywood, then thinset and screwing 1/4" hardy board, then thinset, then the tiles. Does this sound right? It seems like some people say to have a water barrier in there, so not sure about that. This is a lightly used bath if that matters.

Thanks!
Jim
Unread 11-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim.

Your plan is sound. Waterproofing over your CBU certainly wouldn't hurt in that application, but it's not a requirement.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
jimship

Mosaic on walls - cement board?

Hey group. I will be installing mosaic (pebble) tile on the walls above our bath vanity. Question is do I need to install cement board on top of the drywall before tiling? Or is the drywall good enough for wall installation. Thanks.
Unread 12-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome again, Jim. Let's keep all your questions about this bathroom project here on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

That's generally not considered a wet area so waterproofing isn't technically required. You can tile directly to your unfinished drywall if you want. If your knowledge of the actual use of that vanity leads you to think the wall should be waterproofed, I'd recommend you replace the drywall with a CBU before applying the waterproofing membrane.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
jimship

Sounds good - thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase