Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
jmbaker3

I Give Up in Jupiter, Florida

For months I have been trying to get someone to tile a 1300 square ft. condo in the Juno/Jupiter, Florida area. I have had some lined up to do the work, only to have them no show, not call or just be plain obvious, they don't have a clue how to lay tile. You can have someone lined up, and 3 weeks later, they don't call or answer their phone. So I have thrown my hands up and and am here looking for help.

I am willing to pay a decent price to get this job done, and done right. Cork soundproofing is in place and was glued with 2080 adhesive. I need someone to run a diagaonal pattern through the condo and do a neat job.

Any recommendations of someone I can contact. If they are out of the area I will consider room and board, as well as a great Prime Rib dinner...lol. Serious...I just need someone to get this project done. JB

Last edited by jmbaker3; 07-04-2005 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typo
jmbaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

JB:

Your best bet is a referral. I don't know the size of the Condo project, but I'll bet you a cookie with a fat raisin in it that someone in the complex has a good tiler. Ask around, post a note, go to the design review board.

Your next best bet is a professional referral. Go to a couple tile shop like DalTile and get five of the best, most respected tile setters. Trust me the manager will know who they are. Call them and set something up.

I will tell you that good contractors are busy, especially the very good ones. You might have to wait up to 2-3 months. They schedule jobs, just like you and me. It will be hard to find someone who has the time to start on your project next week, at least anyone good.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
jmbaker3

PHP Code:
[quote=Scooter]JB:

Your best bet is a referral.  I don't know the size of the Condo project, but  I'll bet you a cookie with a fat raisin in it that someone in the complex has a good tiler.  Ask aroundpost a notego to the design review board.  

Your next best bet is a professional referral.  Go to a couple tile shop like DalTile and get five of the bestmost respected tile settersTrust me the manager will know who they are.  Call them and set something up

I will tell you that good contractors are busyespecially the very good ones.  You might have to wait up to 2-3 months.  They schedule jobsjust like you and me.  It will be hard to find someone who has the time to start on your project next weekat least anyone good.[/quote

I've been that route...one of the guys I was going to use, did a job nearby...lined him up to do the work, even had him come over when the tile arrived and carry it up the condo...one month later I was to start the job and he said...see you tomorrow...he never showed. Got a neighbor to hook me up witht he guy who did his, only to have him show two weeks late and two days later, I asked him to depart the job...or rather his installer...Told the owner the guy was impossible to work with, layout etc... Owner told me day later he fired the guy, because he had had numerous complaints about him...Problem was the other guy he wanted to put on the job had trouble reading "This Side Down" on the cork and I told the owner, no thanks. Its a real mess in South Florida...has nothing to do with the hurricanes there last year...I live fulltime in Maryland and its a world of difference here. Let me tell you...if you are a contractor, who is any good... you could make a fortune in Florida...literally.
Unread 07-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hang tight. I don't know where Jupiter is, but we might have someone close by.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
My brother lives down there in port saint lucie florida maybe he can help you. I have laid alot of tile in jupiter i take in you are in singer island or some where near?????
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
jmbaker3

North Palm Beach/Juno...
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
madmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbaker3

I live fulltime in Maryland and its a world of difference here. Let me tell you...if you are a contractor, who is any good... you could make a fortune in Florida...literally.

Hardly. Florida has a huge supply of low cost labor. When suppy increases and demand remains the same, then labor prices drop.

$1/ft in Fla vs $5/ft in Md.

You don't see anybody sneaking into Florida from the north do you.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
No cuase them northern cant drive on a busy street lol
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
jmbaker3

My point was, there are so many incompetent contractors running around with cheap labor that many people are absolutely fed up. If you are good and reliable, you would have no problem naming your price...just in my condo alone I know several people who would be willing to pay more for a job they felt would be good.

Point here is...I need a contractor, and so far I have had no luck in this forum trying to hook up with one. I made the point and was serious, I would pay room and board if one had to come in from out of the area...damn...I'd even throw in a day of offshore Palm Beach fishing. Dolphin, sailfish, shark...you name it...just to get this floor done. lol
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
theres still alot of blue roofs in Fla.- your lucky !
Unread 07-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #11
opiethetileman

how soon does this need to be done??? I am in Jax florida and have freinds in Port saint lucie and jupiter as well as west palm beach?? PM with info and pricing???????
Unread 07-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
jmbaker3

I'm not doing a roof. And besides, there is a reason for all those blue roofs...a lot has to do with insurance, etc. I'm trying to get a floor done.

Time wise...I have been trying to get this condo done now for close to a year...so whenever I can get someone competent I won't pressure the time issue. I will be back south in early September...so looking for around then.

May have a photo fo the place I can attach.
Attached Images

Unread 07-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

jmbaker3 ,

Don't give up on looking for someone. Maybe one reason is that all the good tile setters are already busy or don't want to make a distance trip for tile job.

I would be interested myself but for the september time frame, the distance to travel and todays gas prices and lost time on road it all adds up to bucks that most customers would rather not pay. Not saying you wouldn't as it looks like you have no problem with a fair price for a professional install, matter of fact you sounds like to support it and I respect that.

Maybe Dan can help you and if not looks like there is still time to find someone for September. Heck maybe if you intice Todd ,who is retireing, with fishing, golf, transportation and lodging maybe he could be persuaded into an easy slow job.

Sorry Todd couldn't resist
Tracy

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

With your reasonably loose timeline and Dan's possible trip over there, that might just be the ticket.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 06:47 AM   #15
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Quote:
Heck maybe if you intice Todd ,who is retireing, with fishing, golf, transportation and lodging maybe he could be persuaded into an easy slow job.
Couldnt afford me, my retired rates are triple

It looks like a pretty straightforward but cut up job with a large format (is that a 16x16 or 18x18?

I did one that size (1300 s/f) up here last fall.9 days total included delivery of all materials , custum inlaid pebblework at entry and fireplace.
Final was 7900.00( I just looked )
multiply that times 3 rounded up of course.Sounds like 24,000 and i'll cover my own room (in the shape I'm in its going to take alot longer than 9 days though)
hmmm 2 of those a year and i really could be almost retired

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase