Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
BBDIY

Thanks Kman for combining these two, I wanted to have a build thread title which Is why I started a new thread, but this is even better!

There is plenty of room to move the curb forward, just not sure what that will do to my pan and whether its aesthetically proper. i may have to expand the pan on all sides (assuming a 48x48 pan) or get a custom pan. The door would most likely be hinged at the wall and swing out, which is not ideal as the towel rack would be behind it. I'll take some more pics.

I thought about using the profile on top of the curb and at the window sill. The tile lady mentioned to us we could put a solid piece of stone on top of the curb eliminating the profile, and also match that with a larger window sill. Pretty sure my wife wants to go that route, but wanted to see if anyone on here recommends that being that my tile is so long.
Unread 10-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'm a fan of using a contrasting solid something or other on top of the curb, for the niche shelf and, in your case, the window sill. If you can match it to your vanity top, all the better. But, that's what I did in my just completed bathroom, so I'm a bit biased.

Since you don't have a BN available you will have to consider how to handle the edges for the niche.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #18
BBDIY

Can anyone tell me what kind of drain I should expect to find in the Jacuzzi branded fiberglass shower pan that I will be removing? That's probably my biggest fear because I don't want to cut the ceiling open below. Is it most likely a glued connection to the plumbing? Is it something I'm probably going to have to chisel apart or use one of those inside PVC saws on?
Unread 10-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #19
BBDIY

Well, our tile designer quit or got fired and our project was handed to a new person. Over the last few weeks the new person has led us in a new direction, which I actually think will look better and the wife seems to like more. 2 week lead time means maybe I can get to some demo! We switched to 12x24 tile on walls, a basketweave stone pattern on shower floor, and a 3" 4 row small rectangular accent strips.

I have a grout question. They sell prizm grout, which Ive never heard of, and say it does not have to be sealed? Is this Ok? Last time I did tile I used tile doctor admix and it worked great. It looks like I'm also going to go the Kerdi system on the shower since it seems easy to get.

hope to post some pics when I get rolling!
Unread 10-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In case you didn't find your drain answer yet, you'll need to cut out the drain you have with the inside pipe cutter you mentioned. If you're going with Kerdi, you'll want to install a Kerdi drain.

I use Prism grout quite a lot. It'll work well with your pebbles on the shower floor. Being in a shower, I wouldn't seal it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #21
BBDIY

Thank you for the reply, Davy. Good to hear I don't need to seal the prism grout. As for the drain, should be fun I guess. for you guys that do it all the time it's probably nothing, for me it's the only thing (the whole drain installation) that has me nervous! Bull by the horns I guess!
Unread 10-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #22
ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
We switched to 12x24 tile on walls, a basketweave stone pattern on shower floor
I whole heartedly endorse that decision.
Unread 10-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #23
BBDIY

I have a niche question. I plan on (2) 12x12 niches. Walking around in the tile showroom with my tape measure, I notice that the niche with bullnose on the inside walls is 1/2" shallower than the niche with the schluter profiles on the edges. Is this typical? Do you have to build up the back wall and lose 1/2" of the niche if using bullnose since the bullnose is ~3" to avoid a tile sliver in the inside walls of the niche? Our wall tile will be 12x24x~3/8 i think. Does that cause a problem for soap and shampoo bottles? (wifes bottles are very large for some reason. what do most prefer?

Also, when replacing the tile on the horizontal tub surround, do you have to jack the tub up or , as I'm hoping, will the tile just typically slide up under the tub flange? Thanks, I'm an over planner I guess.
Unread 10-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #24
ss3964spd

I don't know if it's typical, but it does make sense they built the back out a bit to avoid slivers around the inside perimeter of the niche. Will 3" of shelf depth be enough? Measure her bottles.

Instead of using tile for the niche bottom you could instead opt for a solid surface, and extend it past the plane of the wall tile to create a deeper shelf.

The tub surround - I dunno. But I'd guess that if the new tile is the same thickness as the old it oughta work.
Unread 11-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #25
BBDIY

Ordered materials today! 7-10 days and the post demo fun will start!

I have a curb question. It looks like the kerdi curb is 4.5" on the top and my bull nose tile are 3x12. I planned on putting back to back bull nose on the top of the curb. Should I add some kerdi board to make the curb 6" or just rip the bull nose? Or should I just go some other direction like a stone remnant or something? would really like the matching bull nose if possible. My vanity tops are off white silstone.
Unread 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #26
cx
Moderator emeritus

That would be a question for Mrs. Brian. Any of your suggested options will work from a practical or technical standpoint.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
BBDIY

Thanks again, CX, I'll let the Mrs. choose.

I'm reading up a little on tools and trowels to make sure i have the right stuff. Is this correct?

1/2 x 1/2 squre notch for the 12x24 tiles on wall and tub top?

1/4 x 1/4 V notch for the 12x12 basket weave mosaic sheets on the shower floor?

1/4 x 3/16 V notch for all of the Kerdi stuff?

Also, any opinions of the new spacer leveling gizmos? I have several bags of the regular old 1/8 spacers and have never used this new technology.
Unread 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #28
ss3964spd

Absolutely defer to Mrs. Brian, but I'd certainly attempt to sway her in the direction of using the off white siltstone for the top of the curb. A cleaner look, IMO, and no grout lines to get gunky.

I used and loved the Spin Doctor tile leveling system for all my 12X24's, and pieces thereof, both floor and walls. Works very well, very easy, but a bit spendy. Given how much I spent on the tile I reasoned the additional cost to make setting easier and with better results, was worth the price.

Those trowel sizes should work.
Unread 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #29
BBDIY

Thanks for the response. I will take a look at the spin doctor. I should clarify my counters are Silestone vs. Siltstone. I like the idea of silestone though, it looks like it can be fabricated with whatever edge detail I want. Matching colors may be a different story though.
Unread 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #30
BBDIY

Thanks for the reply on the kerdi curb thread, Kman. So it sounds like I should buy the curb that is not already waterproofed, bevel the top to 1/8 slope on a table saw, and then waterproof. Can you just use the kerdi band to waterproof, or do I need to buy the sheet roll? I was planning on just using the 1/2" kerdi board on the walls and band on the joints, so wasn't planning on buying any roll other than the kerdi band. Or, is there a pre sloped curb I could buy that works with kerdi? thanks for any info!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase