Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
babyduck

Can Porcelain Glazed Chips be Fixed - So Disappointed - Can Anyone Help?

We had porcelain glazed tile 24 x 24 installed - it was beautiful - no lippage looked great yesterday with all the T-Locks on it. Tiler kicked them off and cleaned out the joints (1/16"). So disappointed - almost 50% of the edges have the glazed chipped off primarily from where the T-Locks were and also from where he cleaned the joints, I think. I really like my installer - It would have been so beautiful. The sun shines across the floor and makes it quite noticeable. What went wrong and more importantly ... how do we fix it before he does the rest of the floor? Please tell me there is a way to fix the glazing, to re-glaze it or fill it with some sort of Epoxy that buffs up shiny and new? Do we have to rip up the damaged ones and re-install?

Thanks ever so much for the advice.
Unread 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

This the same floor with the grout color problem, Rebecca?

Some photos would likely be helpful. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos from storage on your computer.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
tatumjonj

He chipped the porcelain tile putting nylon levelers on them and kicking them off?
Unread 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
babyduck

It looks like most of the damage is where the T-Lock levers were. I am thinking that there was too much thinset and when he dug it out with a tool it chipped the glazing off and he just kept on going. At least 50-60% of the tiles are damaged, maybe more. They are Sera Nova Atlantis Brown tiles, fully rectified. Ripping them up would be a nightmare as we have dry pack with in floor heating underneath but this is our forever home. Should they be ripped up or can they be repaired - is this unacceptable?
Attached Images

Unread 10-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
babyduck

Hi CX - the grout issue was with the basement tile (specifically the furnace room). Not a big deal as we stopped before doing the rest and we are just going to use the grout renew to fix the furnace room and have purchased the Flex Color CQ for everywhere else. But the chipped glazing everywhere is so disheartening.
Unread 10-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Autoplay
Tile Setter

If you ask me,it looks as if your installer cut some tiles,to make em fit?? In doing so,he/she left a raw,chewed up edge on the tiles. In a couple of pics,you can see it....and if it was rectified tile,it would have smooth edges etc.

IMO,as it's a polished look,it's gonna be next to impossible to hide it with glaze paint. Not even sure clear,colored Akemi would help either.

I too use leveling/lippage clips from time to time,and where the clips are fastened,it's next to impossible to get the excess thin set ooze out,same day as install. After removing clips,I CAREFULLY scrape excess thin set from joints,being extra careful what direction I'm scraping/detailing,in relationship to where tile corners meet up.
Unread 10-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
tatumjonj

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken with the installer yet? I curious as to what they say about it.
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
rmckee84

That's some awesome looking tile, but I wouldn't be happy if I were you. If I was the installer there's no way I could walk away from that. I can't think of any way to really fix your issue other than replacing the chipped tiles. You would think he would have seen what was going on and either changed his approach or said something.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Rebecca.

I agree that is some nice looking tile.

But I'm very sorry to say I can't think of a way to repair that volume of damage without resulting in looking like obvious repairs. Perhaps a few chips could be fixed using an inordinate amount of skill and colored epoxy or enamel. But you've got lots of damage. Those tiles needs to be replaced.

While nobody can expect perfection, that's a long ways from. You're not paying a pro to install damaged tiles. I'd want the damage tiles replaced.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
babyduck

Thanks for all of your replies. None of those were cut tiles - they are all 24 x 24. The damage was all done on clean up. They are beautifully laid - just can't believe we will need to rip them up. I will talk to the installer on Monday but as there are about 80 of them done and a good 60% are damaged to some degree it will not be a fun conversation. I too do not realize why he did not stop when he noticed the damage. I did notice on 2 chips he used black permanent marker to hid it .... bugger... and I have been repeatedly telling my kids they need to be so careful not to drop anything on our new tiles to chip them

This was a $35,000 dollar tile install, labour only, roughly 2000 square feet (including dry pack) plus 2 showers so we were not looking to save a buck - we just wanted it beautiful and done right. I do understand how hard it is to lay large format tile and he does do a nice job but then does a bonehead thing like this ....
Unread 10-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
ZZZK

Personally I don't understand how an installer can keep damaging tile after expensive tile and not stop what he is doing to remedy the problem. Continuing on to damage 60% of the tile is mind blowing...
Unread 10-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
tatumjonj

A professional installer that did what John suggests gets what he deserves. There's no way you can be cleaning those up and not noticing that you're damaging almost every one.
Unread 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Let's say installer removes and replaces bad tiles with good etc......what's to prevent same thing from happening again?

Looks like a ratted blade was used in the close up pics.....if that from detailing.....did he use a dull chisel etc from the Bronze Age??
Unread 10-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
jerrymlr1

Rich has a good point. Looks like some tiles were cut. The joint opens up considerably from one end to the other. The tiles are chipped clear down the side, not just one spot where a leveler might have been. And... why did he need levelers if the floor was floated flat?
Unread 10-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Looking at your 3rd pic, I see a lot of small chips which is probably what Rich was talking about. Looks like a tile saw was used which would leave a similar looking edge. I can't see him doing that as he kicked the tabs off but maybe he did. I would look at some of the extra tiles he had left over to see if any of those have the ragged chipped edges.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase