Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Sbush81

DITRA over osb?

Ok..long time reader...love the forums...long story short a wax ring leaked in hall bath...ruined isb sub floor...tore up all tile and really really thick mud bed...braces and replaced bad section with osb...should inlay down a thin plywood then ditra over it? Plan is standing shower tore the tub about too!! Have read it can be done over either which way do yall think is the safer option?

Thanks Steve

Plenty more dumb questions to follow ????????
Attached Images

Unread 12-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Have read it can be done over either which way do yall think is the safer option?
Don't understand the question. Either of which ways? I see only one mentioned.

If you plan to install ceramic tile over that floor, I'd recommend a second subfloor layer of nominal half-inch plywood over the patched floor I see in your photo. That presumes that your joist structure is adequate for such a tile installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I agree with CX. Put another layer of plywood and THEN use the DITRA. You "should" be good to go at that point with tile.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Sbush81

Thanks so much for the replies...I did indeed brace under the patch..Yes tile is going on the floor so I will get some half inch plywood and cover floor...I'll update with pictures when I Get done...

Thanks
Steve
Unread 12-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Be sure that first layer is screwed down to the joists, Steve, and then orient the 1/2" (exterior glue/exposure 1, BC) layer so that the long edge runs perpendicular to your joists, and try to overlap the joints in the 1st layer by at least 6". Screw the 2nd to the 1st, avoiding the joists, using at least 1 5/8" construction type screws.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase