Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
bobtheman04

Porcelain Tile Edge Chipping

I got my tile in from my local flooring store and laid out about a 5 pieces on the bathroom floor. After moving them to various positions for a few minutes (over Ditra) I noticed that 4 of them had chips in the edges from moving them around. Is this normal for porcelain tile? I do not remember porcelain tile being this fragile from my last (and only) DIY tile job.

Tile is 12 x 24" Marble Attache Lavish from Daltile. This is not cheap tile ($8/sq ft) but the COO of China has me concerned. If I had realized the COO before I bought I would have passed. These are "TrueEdge" which I assume means rectified edges.

Let me know if I just need to be more careful or if this is a cause for concern. I am prepared to take the three boxes for a loss and just buy some better quality tile. I would rather not use bad tile and have to "fix" it later on. The bathroom is 30 ft^2 so buying different tile will not be expensive.

Last edited by cx; 10-21-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add Link
bobtheman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kevin.

I'll add a link to your product so we can verify that's what you purchased.

Dal's advertising does say it's a "color body porcelain," but there is no indication that it meets the standards of ANSI A137.1 for ceramic tiles so there is really no way to verify the properties of the product. That means WYSIWYG applies.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
bobtheman04

Yes, that's the one. It does mention "certified porcelain" which I'm not sure covers the ANSI standard or if it just covers the permeability of water.

Last edited by bobtheman04; 10-21-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Change ASTM to ANSI
bobtheman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
bobtheman04

If you look at the sales sheet (google it, it's not linked on the daltile site), it says "Manufactured in accordance with ANSI A137.1
standards." in the notes.
Unread 10-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

To me, "certified porcelain" is an advertising statement, Kevin. I've got no idea what it really means. Without a claim to meet A137.1, it's really difficult to tell just what you're buying. The tile might actually be a porcelain by ANSI standards, we just don't know that. Just like the TrueEdge advertisement. The tile might actually be rectified, but we don't really know what TrueEdge might mean to Daltile.

I suppose you could contact them and ask if they have other documentation for the tile line.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase