Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
sambette

Pro needed in Jupiter FL

Spent the weekend visiting my mother in law in Jupiter Florida. I noticed her shower is leaking through the ceiling below. Shower is about 10 years old and look to be in good shape, except for the leak. Looks like there are 2 gaps in the grout between the floor and the wall. The leak is small, and its possible the grout has always been like this, as its on the far side of shower and it usually only gets a few showers a week. This weekend we were hammering it with 4 showers a day and many have the ceiling damage more apparent.

I opened the cracks up by removing some grout and it's wet down there. Anyway, I'm really hoping a decent fix is possible without gutting shower. I figured this is a good place to find an honest pro who knows what they are doing. Anyone interested in taking a look?

Thanks!
Unread 10-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Samantha.

Cracked or missing grout, or no grout at all, has nothing to do with a properly built shower leaking. You should not view this as an easy repair, or any repair at all, actually, if the shower receptor is leaking.

I'll move you to the Professionals' Hangout where you're more likely to get a response from a pro local to the area.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
sambette

Thanks for your help. I'm suspicious about the liner. Mother in law swears there is one and she saw it when they installed, but who knows. Just need to get this fixed right.

First, I need someone who can do the work who is willing to come check it out and give their assessment. Before I hit the yellow pages, I was hoping to find someone here. Let me know if you are interested!

Last edited by sambette; 10-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
sambette is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase