Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
Mark9

Using Kerdi again after years, few questions.

Hi,

Was looking for a little confirmation before starting a new shower project. Have done a couple Kerdi showers about 6+ years ago with the kit and went really well.

This time I am looking to use the kit but also instead of drywall as I did before switch to the Kerdi-Board, mostly just because it seems a little faster/easier and lighter. Still need to see if I can find locally the 4x8 panels, but it looks like lowes does carry smaller ones if I have to go that route.

Looks like the kits have changed a little and the pan is also precovered now from when I last used them.

My questions are, last time using schluter products(Dirta/Kerdi) I would always use versabond under kerdi and to set the tile on. I know it would void the warranty in the long run but not worried about that. Is that still acceptable or has anything changed with either product over the years? Assuming Kerdi-Board is the same as the old sheets I use to apply over drywall in regards to setting with Versabond over it.

Other question is, having never used Keri-Board if you use any adhesive to help bond to studs or just the screws? I believe I saw a thread saying some use PL Premium(Couldn’t find thread again). Also could use PL to try and level under the board before screwing if needed?

Thanks
Mark
Unread 10-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
speed51133

The new foam shower trays are also a higher density foam, so they are more rigid.

Same deal with versa bond, nothing changed there, but Schluter now sells its own, proprietary modified thinset mortar that it approves for use. So if you do care about the warranty thing and want modified ,you can buy it.
Unread 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'm not sure that a construction adhesive is a good idea. You probably should ask Schluter about it. If the stuff says it's okay for use with a foam product, then it will probably work, but otherwise, when you screw it down, the hole created there may allow the adhesive to melt the foam, leaving a void inside.

Do what you need to to level and plumb the walls prior to installing the board whether that's shimming, adding a scab on the side, or planing a crown down.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Mark9

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will fix the walls prior to the Kerdi-Board via sistering some new 2x4/shaving high spots down. One of the corners has almost 21” spacing between studs anyway, so I have to sister a couple to that one since its too big. Would be easier to just throw one in the center, but the ceiling above shower is lowered and staying so I can’t secure a new stud to the top framing. Can’t think of any other options really the way it’s configured.

Did have one question about the subfloor under the tray, hole is way too big and I will be moving the drain a little anyway. Subfloor is ¾ OSB and it looks like it’s in decent shape. Instead of putting a whole new layer over the subfloor I was planning on cutting it bigger – to the joists, then sistering some 2x4 to the joist for more support and an area to glue/screw down a square piece of new OSB. Any issues with that rather than cutting out the entire section? Attached pic of existing after tearout.

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 10-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
Lou_MA

Replacing a square is fine but I’d suggest having solid support (via sisters, blocking, etc) under all four edges.
Unread 10-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Yes si

Hi Mark,
In regards to getting a stud in that obstructed wall void, maybe try to fasten a couple of “L” bracket to the top of the 2x4 before setting it in the wall void then if you can get your driver in that void you’ll be screwing straight up to the top plate. You may need to split the stud in 2 to get it in then simply “mend “ it with a piece of 2x4. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Yes si; 10-14-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Corrections
Yes si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Mark9

Thanks a lot for the recommendation on L brackets, got a chance to work on shower and this method worked perfect to replace some where access was difficult.

One more question with Kerdi, would like to use a glass border in the shower towards the top. The one picked out is glass and I know glass/kerdi don't play well from what I read but since this is just a small border at the top would this be fine to install just with versabond? Using versabond for everything else in the shower as well.

Picture attached of the one picked up, I was guessing this is fine but thought I'd get some opinions just case.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images

Unread 10-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I installed a glass accent in my recently finished MBR, Mark, but instead of using VB as I did on everything else I used Flexbond. This was over Durock waterproof foam board, but I had to build up the mortar first since the glass wasn't as thick as the wall tile.

You might check with the manufacturer of your glass tile to see what type of mortar they recommend but I'll bet Flexbond will be just fine.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Whichever one you choose, make sure you use a white one or you'll change the look of the tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Mark9

Thanks for the advice, I will go with white flexbond for the glass border. Wish it came in a smaller bag, looks like the white is only available in 50lbs.

One other question, hopefully the last on this project.

This is the first time I will have to cut down a kerdi curb down by a little bit. Newer one already covered and they are not solid but have bridging through it for support. If I have to cut down a little but on the end do you cut out the support somehow and put them back in or just leave it? I'm not sure how much I have to cut out yet but any amount I would be cutting the end support.

Was unable to find anything regarding this.

Thanks
Unread 10-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
Kman

I've never used one of those, but I've read that others cut them with a table saw.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
Mark9

Cutting it won't be an issue, it's thing enough I can use a utility knife. I was just unsure about removing/replacing the support/webbing since it is not solid. And if I do remove it, if I secure it back in some way.

Thanks
Unread 10-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Kman

Sorry, Mark. I didn't understand your question, which was probably obvious from my answer.

Can you post a picture of it? Or maybe someone with some experience with the Kerdi curb can offer advice.

Unread 10-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
Kman

Ok, I did a quick search and I think I found what you were talking about.

Take a look at this thread and see if it answers your question, particularly post #4.

Unread 10-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
Mark9

Hi,

That's not exactly what I am facing, I will take a picture of the curb tomorrow(Not working at that house) and it will hopefully be more clear. I'm sure I am being overly cautious anyway.

In the meantime, the only other thing I was wondering about is... I will being Versabond on everything (To seal/kerdi band over the kerdiboard in shower, lay down dirta over OSB on floor and install tile over everything) minus the glass accent strip with I will use Flexbond in the shower for.

I have always used regular VersaBond, I noticed they have VersaBond LFT as well. Is there any benefit to use that? Tiles on both will be 12x24. Like I said I have always used regular and never paid attention to this LFT, guessing it doesn't matter but wondering what opinions are on that.

Thanks again for your time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase