Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
rsmith99
Ron Smith

Filling Cracks in Grout

I replaced my tub and show about 10 years ago. It came out pretty good, and has held up well so far.
I used Kerdi behind all the porcelain tile, and a Schluter shower kit for the base.

I have noticed recently that the shower is losing grout along one line, on both walls of the shower. The bottom edges of the tiles were probably dirty when I installed the mosaic tiles.

My question is;
Is there anything I can fill these cracks with that doesn't require me to remove the old grout?
If not, how can I remove the old grout without damaging the Kerdi underneath?

I've attached pictures. They may be upside down. They are straight on my PC.

Thanks for the help!
Ron
Attached Images

Last edited by rsmith99; 09-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.
rsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
rmckee84

I'm not seeing any pics attached so it's tough to say what your best route would be. A manual grout saw, or a dremel with a diamond disc or bit would be my go to for surgical type repairs. Again I would need to see what you're dealing with to say for sure.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Are these cracks along a change of plane? I.e., in a corner or between the pan and the wall?

If so, industry guidelines call for that joint to be a flexible joint...not grouted. It can last being grouted, but often, does not. There are a couple of choices, a color matched caulk, or an engineered movement joint (not possible after the fact). So, if it is in one of those changes of plane, it really should be caulked. Cutting out the grout without damaging the waterproofing behind is possible, but you have to be careful about it. As long as you got most of it out, then cleaned up the edges well, caulk should stick.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
rsmith99
Ron Smith

Added the pictures Again

Added pictures (again)
Unread 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
rsmith99
Ron Smith

Anybody?
Unread 09-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Lou_MA

Remove that old grout about halfway deep to give the new grout room to grab.

I'd use a manual grout saw, or a grout removal blade on a Fein tool or similar. Either way, I'd use a Sharpie or something to mark the blade at half the depth of the tile, so I absolutely knew I wasn't puncturing the Kerdi. And you'll want to go slow and steady so you don't chip the tile.

A quick and dirty fix would be to leave the grout, get some sanded acrylic caulk from the same grout manufacturer, and just try to fill in the cracks. It may or may not last. And the color of new caulking wouldn't match the worn color of 10 year old grout, so you may need to consult a color chart and see if a darker shaded caulking would match better.
Unread 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
clifton clowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_MA
Either way, I'd use a Sharpie or something to mark the blade at half the depth of the tile, so I absolutely knew I wasn't puncturing the Kerdi.
Both Fein and Festool (and doubtless others) make a depth stop for their multitools.
Unread 09-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
rsmith99
Ron Smith

I used C-Cure grout when I did the bathroom. Seems like the last time I looked for it, they told me the company had been sold and was no longer available.

Anybody know if thats true? Is their a good substitute?

For a small area. Two or three 3' rows, would the premixed stuff work just as well?

Thanks for your help!
Ron
Unread 09-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
rmckee84

I just did a quick google search and it looks like its still available. You could grab a couple color charts from various brands available to you locally and try and find a match but its tough to match old and new.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase