Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-29-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

How to fill the gap??

We were asked to take a look at a kitchen counter today that needs... a few tiles replaced.....haha
Several months ago they had new windows installed... a wall of windows... the wall was ripped out from just below the height of the kitchen counter to the ceiling... the ceramic tile backsplash was removed with the wall and left a gap of 2 3/8 inch from the last row of tiles to the glass... there's about an inch of mud bed exposed and then just the rough framing of the window sill. If we install one row of tile between the glass and the existing tile, it will hit the glass... I think the window frame should have been installed just above the countertop height... but nobody asked me
I explained to the homeowner the problems I could see with this installation... looking from the outside in.. you'd see part of the mudbed... ugly.... grinding the existing mudbed ledge to get it low enough to set a row of tiles level with the existing tile could damage her new window... 2 3/8" isn't much room to work with... If she ever needed to replace the window... heaven forbid it should break.... she'd probably have to tear out the kitchen counter, or at least that new row of tiles to get at the window frame.... I told her I really didn't see how we could solve this problem. She told us she's had 5 other companies look at the counter before us... when I asked her what they said, she said "They told me they'd get back to me".... no one has ever "gotten back to her".
I know her brother-in-law, and suggested to him that perhaps a strip of marble threshold could be set there? Or perhaps a strip of hardwood finished with a marine varnish to resist damage from water? (much of this is behind the double sink) with caulking between the tile, strip and glass.?
I'm not an installer, we just do restoration work... do any of you have any suggestions? It's about 7 ' of counter and the gap is 2 3/8"
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
bctile601
Tile Contractor

i have done, and seen many done with marble sills. if you check, you should find available a marble sill, and marble thresholds. if i remeber right, you may be able to get that in one peice. i had gotten a 5 footer once

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

bctile.com
bctile601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Mike2

Karen:

If you/the owners decide to use a wood strip, don't use marine varnish. Instead us a Marine Teak Oil, 2 to 3 coats...will last many years longer. West Marine in Orange would have it.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Any chance of a picher, Karen? Not sure I can see it. Or, if I can, not sure I wanna believe they did that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

My camera was out of film
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Bummer!

Why don't you let me make you a good deal on one that doesn't use film?

Slightly used Sony S-70 or S-85, your choice. Lord knows I don't need two of'em.

Unread 02-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
Mike L.

Sony Cameras

I might be interested in your camera. Tell me about them.

Mike L.-Ohio
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

If this is an upscale home, i would think something could be custum milled in granite to deal with this specialty problem.An outfit that manufactures granite tops could likely not only fabricate something decorative,but install it also.Just a thought Karen......good luck!!
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looky here, Mike:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/s70.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/S85.html

Send me an email if you wanna discuss it further. Don't wanna derail no thread, ain't permitted hereabouts.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase