Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
1975Jumby

"Regular" vs. "Advanced" Cement Grout

Hello! I joined the forum last year and you all gave great advice on the huge job we had done in our master bathroom. It turned out great and now we have another project that I'd like a little assistance.

We're remodeling our "powder room" (or half bath) and will have tile installed on the wall above the sink. It's a very small area of only 5 feet wide by 4 feet tall. Our tile installer had a little bit of a time with Mapei's Flexcolor CQ because he had not worked with it in the past. The only complaint I had is not all the haze came off and that could have been due to his lack of working with it. Not sure, but we would like to try and keep it simple this time for him. (and yes, I know some would say he should be up to date and use whatever, but he's really good).

It's a small job and we don't need Flexcolor CQ or Fusion, so we'd like to get a cement grout. We were going to use Prism or Ultracolor FA, but wondering if Polyblend Plus or Keracolor would be fine. Our tile is a glass matte finished tile and I believe the joints are 1/8, so we could get unsanded. We just want to use the best product, but not go overboard and whatever has the easiest cleanup and application.

If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by 1975Jumby; 06-09-2021 at 07:31 PM.
1975Jumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I’d get Prism or Laticrete Permacolor (I have a preference of these two over the Ultracolor, but I wouldn’t object it it much).

Never mind the others. The grout is not a place to pinch a few pennies, IMHO.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Metropolitan Ceramics

Ultracolor Plus FA would work fine in that situation. Keracolor U would be fine if you're using a light color, if you're going for a dark gray or black color I would recommend the UCP FA.
Unread 07-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
1975Jumby

Silicone Caulk or Sanded Ceramic Tile Caulk?

Just finished a glass tile backsplash in our guest half bath (no moisture threat) and unsure which caulk to use where the tile meets the quartz countertop. We used PRISM "snow white" grout for the glass tiles and want to use the same color, so our choice is CBP's Silicone Caulk or Sanded Ceramic Tile Caulk.

Can someone tell me which one to use?
Unread 07-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim.

It'll help if you'll keep all the project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

In this application, you can use either of those caulks or sealants. It's primarily an aesthetic consideration and you can get the color match and the texture match in either of those products these days. I find the acrylic caulks to be easier to apply.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase