Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
beli

Beveled Tile help

Hope everyone has had a wonderful day/evening. I'm in need of some help/ideas.

I had a Tub/shower Redone with 3x9 Beveled Ceramic Tile. I don't think my tile contractor has worked with beveled tile before as it looks like crap. There are so many issues that the company has agreed to re-do the Tub/shower. So now while we're waiting on a re-order on the tile, I've been researching ideas for fixes. We used a Schulter Edge the first time and part of the tile is flush with the edge of the wall while lower parts down when you get to the tub isn't. the other issue is I don't think the contractor measured the tile correctly for the smaller pieces on the side as it was supposed to be a simple brick pattern w/ 1/2" offset. On top of that I don't think he even mitered the corners but I could be wrong on that.

We were toying with the idea of bullnose trim/and or pencil/edging tile but the company that makes my tile doesn't have these. I asked them today to check to see if they have something from another manufactor with the same color match or closely matching mine.. currently waiting to hear back on that one, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Here are the pics
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The industry calls for changes of plane to be done with some sort of a movement accommodation joint. That can be a physical gap, a flexible filler (typically caulk, but NOT grout), or an engineered joint...so, how he handled the corners by mitering, may or may not be an issue. WIth the beveled tile, that might be useful, but it still needs a movement accommodation joint.

With the layout, you normally want to try to avoid slivers at the ends. OFten, you can accomplish that by slightly shifting the tile layout.

Depending on how flat the surface is to be tiled, it can be tricky using a profile on an edge if you're trying to keep the surface flat when the wall isn't. Can't say what happened there. The tile didn't magically get thicker to make the profile appear recessed.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
beli

Jim, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm not sure what happened either. I'm just glad they're having someone else re-do it. Here are some other pics. As you can see the top is completely flush with the edging. The bottom part not so much. Maybe didn't thin out the mortar enough?

Looks like there's also a space between the edging and the wall sighs.
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

How they handled the outside edge and grouting that inside corner is rough, but everything else looks like a really clean install from the pictures.

The beveled tile is tricky on finishing on that edge because obviously doing the subway look you are cutting at different points in the tile creating different elevations to end at. Having a trim that flushes out with the high point and then doing a really tight grout job on the low points is what looks best to me.

It's too bad the grout is slightly off color to the tile because a matching grout and matching caulk on the edge and inside corner would of really given the illusion of a clean wrap. Any grout that highlights the joint rather than the tile is always an up-charge by me not because I'm sloppy with a matching grout, but because it takes more time to get as clean of a look with an off color grout than without one.
Unread 06-09-2021, 05:28 AM   #5
beli

Yeah.. what irks me the most really is I asked if we needed bullnose/edge tile as when I was originally researching the Beveled tile almost every site I ran across suggested it. When I brought it up to the company they said it necessarily wasn't needed. Then when I brought the tile from the company work with for tiling/grout orders they gave me the Schulter Jolly edge and when I asked them they said it should work too.

So now I'm trying to source it while waiting on the re-order. Thankfully I don't think the re-order shouldn't be here until next week or after as the original order took about a month and we're only two weeks in on the re-order.
Unread 06-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

It is odd they didn’t source the appropriate trim for tile thickness, although the installer could have used a larger than normal trowel for the tile size. For the detail grouting/caulking for your inside corner I like to use a mini trowel and spade tool.
Attached Images

Unread 06-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
beli

I was responsible for supplying the tile while they were responsible for instal. Hence the hundreds of questions(at least what it seems) when I was researching. Had I known the tile manufacturer didn't have supporting trim/edge pieces I would've went with another manufacturer that does.

Should've listened to my gut since I figured they do this all the time they knew better lol.
Unread 06-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you grout the corners, plan on the grout cracking over time. There's a good reason why the industry calls for movement accommodation there. If you're lucky, it might not, but don't be totally upset or surprised if it does crack.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
beli

Jim, thanks I will mention it to them before they re-do it

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase