Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #31
k.k.

Any thoughts on my question above regarding how to close up joints on the top layer of plywood before installing the membrane?

Thx!
k.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kendrick, please add your first name to a permanent signature line so's it will appear in each post and we won't gotta search for it (UserCP/Edit Signature).

The 1/8th" gaps you left in your plywood should have no effect upon either your membrane or tile installation. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer of that membrane to verify their installation requirements.

My opinion worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #33
k.k.

Ok, did it.

what if the gaps are bigger than 1/8" !!!!? uh-oh, i gotta go re-check that!

thanks CX
Unread 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
Mike2

Kendrick, I think you need to find something else to worry about. Or... maybe save it up for later. Grouting would be a good cause.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #35
k.k.

oh believe me, I have plenty of things to worry about with this project! If this bathroom actually gets done by the end of the month and I don't have an heart attack before that, I'll consider this a huge success.
Unread 09-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #36
Mike2

So.....having fun yet??
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #37
k.k.

yeah, way more "fun" than I expected.....as you can see from all my questions!

Although, the bathroom has got to be the most difficult room in a house to renovate, so if I'm able to do that, I can do ANYTHING!!!!
Hopefully my wife doesn't realize that though or I'll be entering a world of pain
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
Mike2

I hope you are earning enough points from wife person to make up for all the agony.

She owes you, Kendrick, big time!!
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #39
k.k.

ok, i just installed the 3/4" x 3/4" glass mosaic floor last night. now some questions for anyone with experience with these type of tiles....

they were paper faced with no mesh on the back. I used a 3/16 x 5/32 v notch trowel.

So now the tiles are sitting in the latex thinset but how am i going to grout them without messing them up? there are some parts that I will have to walk on the tiles in order to grout some hard to reach areas. My concern is that since these tiles are kinda like upside down pyramids (little more flat on the bottom but flare out to the top) that if i step on them it will make them fall on their side or at least break loose from the thinset.

Also, in some areas the mortar was a little too deep and it went up to near the top of the tile. what type of issues am i going to have when i grout? i tried to clear some of the thinset between the spaces but it got messy so I didn't get too far with that.

thanks
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #40
bbcamp

Kendrick, if you set the tiles into the thinset, and the thinset has cured, and you knock one loose by walking over it to grout, you got bigger problems than you think. Seriously, get some big pieces of heavy cardboard and make a walkway to where you have to grout. This keeps you from digging your toes in between the tiles and kicking one over.

The thinset should not fill the grout lines, but should leave about 2/3s of the depth of the line clear. If you need to clean the grout lines out, use a utility knife and be careful not to scratch the tile. The time you spend on this will be paid back in a uniform colored grout job later.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #41
k.k.

Thanks Bob.

Great idea with the cardboard. My main concern was catching an edge of the small tiles when walking which could pull one up.

So I will be able to scratch out the thinset after it has cured? I was thinking it would be too solid to scratch. I have no problem spending the time to do it since it will make the grout look nicer.

What if I find a loose tile when i'm ready to grout? Am i able to place it back in and grout it in? Or do i have to mix another batch of thinset for the loose tile and then wait for it to cure again before i can grout?
Unread 09-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #42
bbcamp

The sooner you get to cleaning out those joints, the easier it'll be. If you knock a tile loose, you'll have to reset it with thinset. 2-part epoxy may work, but it may also show through the tile. This might be a place for a rapid setting thinset for the DIYer. You'll be able to grout about the time you get the bucket cleaned out and the grout mixed.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #43
k.k.

For a couple of the tiles that came loose I just used liquid nails to put them back in place before grouting. THis was for areas with no traffic (behind toilet, right next to wall). ALso the tiles are not clear, so the glue color was not an issue.

I'm now tiling the tub/shower...should i silicone caulk the 1/4" gap between the tub and backerboard before tiling or should i just caulk the 1/8" gap after tiling?

I hope to have pictures up this weekend to show the complete tile job!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase