Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #61
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
There are some exceptions to the caulk the changes of plane rule though. A niche, for instance. Most people grout those - as I did. Outside corners as well where the wall tile wraps around the corner, those look much better with grout.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #62
frantznewb

Talking

Another, oooohh ok . So bridge between tile edges w/caulk but leave the actual expansion gaps unfilled. I think that's what your nifty drawings illustrate, but I missed it.
Unread 06-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #63
frantznewb

Regarding your #61, I suspected as much -thanks for spelling it out.
Unread 06-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #64
cx
Moderator emeritus

For clarity here, I don't believe there are exceptions to the ceramic tile industry standards (rules?) for treating shower niches. What Dan is describing is just common practice, rather than an exception to the rules. The industry standard still calls for a soft, or movement accommodation, joint in the tile surface any place where "...the backing materials change or change direction..."

Using a flexible sealant in tile joints, especially in wet areas, is a lot more aesthetically acceptable these days with the advent of 100 percent silicone sealants color-matched to grout and in satin and sanded textures.

I still grout shower niches as a rule.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #65
Shaklee3

Thanks Dan. I misread that as a recommendation to grout instead of caulk. That cleared it up.
Unread 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #66
frantznewb

I'm still in the tile layout planning stage and I'm seeking advice how to trim out the shower entry area and bench seat.. The plan is to use mosaic tile on the floor rake wall, niche and ceiling. I chose a 6x6 tile that has several trim options, with 3x6 bullnose being the primary. The way I see it there are basically 2 approaches:
1) use bullnose on the vertical entryway surfaces placed so the bullnose is flush with the top of the mosaic tile
2)create bullnose borders in the mosaic surfaces with the bullnose flush with the tops of the entry area tiles.

option 1 seems like less work, to execute but there would be an abrupt transition between the mosaic and bullnose tiles- i.e. it might not look good.

My other question is about laying sequence with regard to the trim in the entry area.. After I calculate basic layouts to avoid skinny tiles on the sides, should I establish trim borders starting with the bullnose and a mosaic "border", then fill in the field tiles, or take the center line approach and tile the field then trim? My concern with the center line approach is even a small miscalculation will result in sloppy looking trim placement and irregular grout lines.
Attached Images

Unread 06-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #67
frantznewb

So I have a Laticrete bonded flange drain. The grate screws into the flange and I have it as low as it will go. The tile is somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4". when in position is about an 1/8" below the grate. There floor slope is a little steeper where the drain body is embedded. Seeking advice on if I should try to build this area up with one or more layers of thinset perhaps sandwiching with one or more layers of fabric membrane. There is a similar mosaic tile I was thinking of buying that is just a little thicker. It costs 3x (10$ per 12x12) as much as what I have but considering buying just a couple sheets to place around the drain and encincircle that tile with the thinner ceramic tile I have for the rest of the shower floor.

My biggest concern with raising this area is that I might mess up the draining and cause water pooling. But if the water will seep through the tiles anyway even if there is less slope on the tile itself in the drain grate area, provided there is sufficient floor slope underneath (which there is), won't the water still drain albeit more slowly as it seeps through the tile, grout, and thinset?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Attached Images

Last edited by frantznewb; 06-30-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
frantznewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase