Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
toddean

3 X 5 shower pan floating question

Hi everyone,
Ive got a 3' X 5' shower pan to float with the edge of the square drain at one end that's only 3" from the wall. At 1/4" pitch per foot slope and doing a level perameter the slope for that 3" space is rediculous. Some advice for this would be hugely appreciated!

Todd
The Tile Setters
Unread 06-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Todd.

I'd recommend you move the drain to the center of the shower footprint.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Todd,

I recommend what CX recommends. Doesn't have to be centered exactly from end to end, but should be centered in the short dimension.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The shower will function fine without a level perimeter, but most people prefer it. On one perspective, though, consider a single slope to a linear drain...the perimeter is not level on one of those. It's not uncommon to cut the bottom row of tile to help in the layout. Depending on the size of the tile, when they are fairly large, it isn't as obvious.

FOr most people, though, they prefer a level perimeter of tile, so centering works out better for them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Seems like every couple years I tile a shower that has the drain close to one end. It's always where a tub was removed and someone didn't want to move the drain. It's best to center the drain like the others said but I have run the perimeter out of level to help the drain end from being so steep.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

I have also done what Davy suggests. Last one I did like that the drain was in the corner. After I floated and tiled it I was surprised it didn't bother me more having most of the slope running one direction and not level around the perimeter.

What helped my situation is we used larger tile on the walls so the first grout joint wasn't close to the floor to really accentuate how un-level the perimeter was.
Unread 06-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you leave it in the corner or close to a wall, arrange your tile so that you never have any slivers on that bottom row. That means, at the most, you'd have a full tile at the lowest point, and cut the majority of them around the perimeter smaller. It will help if you lay all of the tile out and mark a nice clean line so that doesn't attract the eye to the fact that they're all cut, OR, run them down near the surface of the pan, and use the tile up to them to hide any inconsistencies. OR, you could use a profile at that junction. https://youtu.be/MBT5-8ML_X0 profile has a pocket to hide those cuts and also means you don't need to caulk that joint ever, so less maintenance.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase