Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
Wkhatri

Anti-Slip Solutions?

Anyone have experience or have a suggestion what to put down to make polished porcelain tiles not slippery when wet? This is for 24x48 polished porcelain tiles I want to put in my bathroom, including my shower floor. The bathroom will have a curbless shower, so I would like to use the same tile on the entire floor so it looks seamless. Also I will use a linear drain so I think I should be good with the pitch, with a few relief cuts/ envelope cuts?

Tile Info (I can link the tiles too but don’t want to violate any forum rules with links).
PEI Rating 4
DCOF <.42

I‘ve heard mixed reviews of polished tiles getting slippery when wet, whereas others say it doesn’t matter. So not too sure.

I’ve seen things from slip doctors as well as miracle 511. Thoughts or suggestions? Don’t want to use a shower mat or stickies if I can avoid it.
Unread 06-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sometimes we can trust the grout joints to give a little grip on floors but that's not the case with your large tiles. I don't know of anything that would work long term that you could add to the surface. Since it's not installed yet, I would select a different tile that has some grip to it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Waleed, I see you've been making use of the search feature!

The short answer is no; at least not without altering the look of the tile. Anything you add will change the texture, the sheen, reflectiveness, or perhaps color, causing the shower tile to look different than the adjacent floor tile.

I installed a matte finish porcelain floor tile in my bathroom, 12"X24" in size, and even dry they can be slippery.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Wkhatri

Thank you very much for the quick responses.

I currently have matte finished 12x24 tiles in my bathroom (not shower) and thankfully even when very wet, they are not slippery. However with the polished, I am not too sure.

I really hope, someone from another post has found a solution they went with and will share the info. Ideally, I do not want to have to change the shower tiles selection if I do not have to. It took 100 trips to different tiles store for the Mrs. and I to finally agree on something we both like. And with the curbless shower, the uniform look with the entire floor being the same, and even going up the wall, I think will look awesome and modern (the look we are trying to achieve).
Unread 06-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Metropolitan Ceramics

When I worked at a previous employer and we had slip issues come up, we were able to satisfy most of them with this product:

https://www.surestepnonslip.com/prod...FloorTreatment

Polished porcelain is going to be more slippery than non-polished porcelain but as long as it's kept dry it won't be an issue. If it's going to get wet, a product like this one can help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase