Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #121
MTy

They are a little bit more than 3/16 thick. Maybe the 1/8 trowel I've been using for kerdi would be better? Don't really want to have to buy yet another trowel, haha. Already got 3.

Yea, I knew I'd have to make compromises. Window wasn't going to move and niche locations were necessitated by other circumstances. 've also complicated things by planning cove molding behind the toilet were I am running the tile.

Main thing is I need to figure out where to start and the offset pattern, either 1/4 or 1/3.
Unread 06-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #122
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Pretty thin tile, those, I'd definitely try the 1/8" SN trowel first. The 1/4" will be too much I think.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #123
MTy

Passed my flood test yesterday!! Spent 3 hours last night trying tile layouts until I found one that left me with as few small pieces as possible in places that are not as visible. No pieces smaller than about 1.5 inches and they are in less visible areas. Not too bad under the circumstances.

1. While tile planning I've realized my toilet flange is too high. Raising the floor is the only way to deal with it. Am I correct in that I can double up ditra? (best combo of most cost effective/easiest)

2. Is there any particular direction/way the second layer needs to be set?

3. Is there a minimum size for ditra pieces? Planning to use largest pieces possible regardless.

4. Is versabond LFT necessary for 12x24 tile or will regular versabond work?
Unread 06-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #124
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. The correct location for your toilet drain flange is on top of the finished floor, Eric. Is that what you're considering?

Schluter has experimented successfully with doubling layers of Ditra.

2. Ditra has no grain, so it shouldn't make any difference.

3. No.

4. Depends upon how flat are your tiles and your substrate.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #125
MTy

1. Yes that is what I am going for. However, flange is 1/8 inch higher on one side. Given it's height I don't think I can get directly on top of the finished floor. With double ditra I can get the top of the flange on the low side about flush with the finished floor. Plan is to craft a wood ring to put under flange to screw into and use a jumbo wax ring.

4. There is a very slight and sloped "hump" in the floor but I believe it is within (or very close to) tolerance for that size tile. Maybe best to use the LFT mortar to be on the safe side. What properties make it preferred for LFT?
Unread 06-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #126
cx
Moderator emeritus

It is not really a LFT mortar, regardless what it might say on the bag, it's a LHT (Large and Heavy Tile) mortar according to tile industry standards. Generally what makes it that is the non-sag capabilities and its thixotropic properties. And I believe some have more course aggregates as well. Its properties generally allow for a thicker build-up without (theoretically) losing bond capabilities or strength.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #127
MTy

So cut some sections of ditra to layout and double check my toilet flange height issue.

Turns out I don't think I need to double up ditra. Please double check my measurements.

Toilet flange is not level. It is 1 and 1/16 above my subfloor at it's highest and 13/16 at it's lowest. Ditra is 1/8 inch, my 12x24 tile is apprx. 5/16 thick. So far that's 7/16. With a 1/2 square notch for tile that makes 1/2 thinset thickness. That gives me 15/16. Add to that 3/16 for thinset under ditra and I have 1 and 1/8. 1/16 above the highest point and 5/16 above the lowest.

I think a homemade wood ring to support the flange and for screwing into plus a jumbo wax ring will solve any issues.
Unread 06-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #128
Gozo

Quote:
I think a homemade wood ring to support the flange and for screwing into plus a jumbo wax ring will solve any issues.
I don’t think that’s the way you should go. Screwing just into a wood ring is going to have problems down the road and the jumbo or double wax ring is more likely to blow out especially if it’s angled as you’re describing.

If the flange sits high, what’s keeping you from removing it, cutting the drain pipe down and parallel to the floor, and then putting a new flange properly over the finished floor?

Maybe a picture of the current situation would help us visualize what you’ve got. Sounds like you’re looking for a more involved and risky solution to a straight forward problem.
Unread 06-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #129
MTy

To clarify, I originally thought my flange was too high. Turns out, assuming my estimates above for thinset thickness are correct, it will be 1/16 to 3/16 (highest and lowest points) below the finished tile.

I've attached pics. Doubt they are much good. First is from demo in January before issues were fixed. Long story short I determined it was best not to mess with the closet flange and associated plumbing. I don't think changing it now is trivial. No access above or below without considerable risk/expensive.

From what I gather over at Terrylove a jumbo (or two wax rings) will work just fine. They may have a better answer for me on the wood spacer.

Main thing I wanted to double check was my thinset thickness estimates. I appreciate you offering other solutions though. I just don't think it's workable.
Attached Images

Unread 06-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #130
BIGPHIL

Eric,
I suggest you look into the Oatey Set-Rite flange extender if you need to add any height.
Unread 06-11-2021, 06:29 AM   #131
ss3964spd

Eric,

You might also consider a different toilet, something like the Toto Aquia dual flush. It has a separate, light weight plastic drain assembly that fastens to the floor. Still uses a typical wax ring set up but it will be much easier to ensure a proper seal. The bowl is a skirted design making it much easer to clean. Also accepts one of their bidet seats, for which I see you added a GFCI receptacle.
Unread 06-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #132
MTy

Talking

Thanks for the suggestion Dan, however I've already got a Toto Drake dual flush. And, yes that is exactly why I had that GFCI installed.

Really when all said and done the flange is going to be close enough to where it needs to be that it won't be an issue when I secure it.
Unread 06-11-2021, 07:15 AM   #133
ss3964spd

Am working on my guest bath and installed a receptacle for a bidet seat in there, too.
Unread 06-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #134
MTy

Tile Help Please!

I had a shower floor tile picked. Long story short because some arrived broken I have extra. (Build.com was great about sending me more) I made some test cuts for my layout. Problem is the tile cuts like crap. Corners chip, pieces less than half in size break. I've tried a couple different blades. No luck.

This is the tile. https://www.daltile.com/product/keys...=Artisan-Brown

I tested some other tile samples I have and no issues. So not the harbor freight diamondback saw or the blades.

I'm going to call Build Monday and see if they'll refund me but in the meantime I have to find a new shower floor tile.

1. The Question-Any of you pros install any earth tone shower floor tile recently that you might recommend?

2. What's quality of the stuff from floor and decor like?
Unread 06-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #135
MTy

Starting on my shower walls this weekend.

1. Is a 3/16 x1/4 v or 1/4 x1/4 trowel going to be better for 4x12 subway tile?

2. I'm laying tiles on a ledger board. Is it better to run a full first course or run a few courses as I move around the room?

I'm carrying the tile from shower lol the way around to the tub but not going all the way up behind the toilet.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase