Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've not seen any of TileRedi's products for years, Terry. Early in their manufacturing history they required epoxy for bonding to their products. That apparently changed at some point, allowing the use of thinset mortar.

But I'd still not depend on thinset mortar bonding Kerdi to that narrow plastic flange as a waterproof barrier. Not saying it wouldn't work, just saying I would not do it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #32
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

KerdiFIx is your best option, I think. There's no guarantee that the Kerdi membrane would provide the same bond and seal when using just thinset with that product. It MIGHT work, but KerdiFix definitely would.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #33
Terry9484

Thanks gentleman. Will do.

Cx - is that the likeness of his Scroogeness? on your posts?
Unread 06-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #34
Terry9484

Guys the "one mix fits all" didn't work. Had to yank it out. I wanted to use the Quikcrete Sand Topping Mix (mixing in play sand) that John shows in the book, but the Quikcrete is unavailable. Sakrete makes a Sand Mix Topping & Bedding that they say is a sand and cement mix, so it would appear to be the same product. What I don't know is whether it too, as John describes the Quikcrete, is "too rich" and needs a play sand infusion.

Do you have any insight. I'd like to make a new material selection that works (and is available) and get the mud bed laid so I can progress.

T
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #35
cx
Moderator emeritus

His Scroogeness in my Avatar was assigned to me many years ago by one of my partners when I was one of the owners of this website. None would admit tot he crime, though, so I'll likely never know. Remarkably good likeness, though, in a couple respects.

Also many years back we (TYW) were told that the Quikrete Sand Topping mix was a 3:1 sand/cement ratio. Who told us and whether it was accurate has been lost in the mist of long life. I have personally tested it with and without the added sand we recommend and can testify that with the added sand it does, in fact, act like a proper 5:1 dry-pack mix. Wheter the Sackrete mix starts out at the same or similar 3:1 ratio, I don't know and don't know anyone who does know. I would expect it to be very much the same product, but I been wrong before. I would suggest you get some and give it a try and see how it works.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #36
Terry9484

Smile

Thanks CX!

For entertainment value you should watch, if you haven't, the version of the story in a movie called "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. Very entertaining, and the face of a scrooge that wouldn't bother me.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to make an attempt to find out what ratio the Sakrete is before I dive in, although my diving in shouldn't surprise you at this point since I've already had one fail. I'd like to convert my shower back from a laboratory to a tile project though. The wife has been patient so far, but the 4th is coming...........and so is her family so she wants it done.
Unread 06-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
Terry9484

Just got the word from Sakrete. The mix is 4:1
Unread 06-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #38
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

4:1 is usable, but a bit stickier than 5:1, so you can add some more sand. Sometimes, the premixed ones don't sift their sand all that well, and the grain sizes can vary, with an occasional pebble that can make things tougher. If you buy plain cement and get some proper sand from a place that does masonry work, you have more control.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #39
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The Quikrete All Purpose sand from our local Home Depot and Lowes works pretty well but it might be different in your part of the world. It has some fine grains in it along with some up to about 1/8 in diameter.

It's less convenient but much cheaper to buy in bulk from a masonry supply. The masonry supply I use charges about 35 bucks a cubic yard.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase