Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Am i using the deflecto meter correctly

I am replacing a standard 5' bath tub, moving the drain to the center and replacing with a shower. I have 2x6, 24 oc, on top of 4x6 that is 4 feet apart, with 3/4 t&g on top. I would prefer, because i am ocd, to use 1/2 plywood on top of the subfloor with ditra but it will cause a height issue at the doorway and carpet transition. I am using porcelian tile from the box stores and i believe the deflecto says that i am good to go as is with out using the additional 1/2 plywood for underlayment.

Any suggestions on tackling the carpet height transition if i use the 1/2 plywood with ditra? Would it be safe to use ditra or hardi on top of the subfloor and not use the additional 1/2 plywood assuming i am using the deflecto correctly?
Any benefit of using hardi and ditra together besides waterproofing?
I have about an inch to match the top of the carpet.
Thanks inn advance

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
with 3/4 t&g on top.
I'm guessing from your photos that you mean nominal 3/4" T&G plywood, Travis, but I dislike guessing.

The Deflectometer knows nothing at all about subflooring, it's useful only in evaluating joist structure. Not enough information about the support for the 4x6 portion to use it.

With the 24" joist spacing under the plywood you have no choice but to add a second layer of subflooring, 'specially with the patched plywood we see. Nominal half-inch is the least I would recommend.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Thanks cx.
I will cover the whole thong with half inch and then use ditra.
Anyone have suggestions for the carpet to tile transition. 1/2" ply + 1/4"ish for the ditra + 3/8 tile + 1/4" for thinset under the tile will put me close to a half inch above the carpet.

Thanks

Unread 06-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
smifwal

I stack the tackstrip at the transition and then place another row behind it, the pad covers that piece of strip. You want to leave about 1/4 in gap between the tile and the strip that your carpet will tuck to. There are "ramps" that go under the carpet side but most of the time you can get away with the method that I mentioned above. I think I have used the ramps 3 times in the 21 years I have been doing carpet. I have laid a lot of rug, for the first 5 years I bet we laid about a 1000 yards a week
Unread 06-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Are you going to run a metal profile strip along the edge of the tile?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

So i have come to the conclusion that there is never a situation where the underpinning and subfloor is good enough to just run a cbu and tile it. So what are you guys doing? Are you completely tearing out the subfloor and adding joist every 12-16oc? Are you climbing under the house and doing the work below? Is this just a California issue? Are you not doing it and just not mentioning it here?
I never see pics of the carpet ramping up to the tile. I am sure that there are many maybe most tile installers that just cover the subfloor with a cbu or ditra and run it. But i can't let myself do that while knowing it might not be good enough.
Let's see the pictures of you guy's doubling up the plywood, or adding joist, and the carpet ramps.

Unread 06-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Carpet ramp, Travis. Can't see it really, can only feel it. Might be 1/4" thick tapering to zero about 6" from the marble threshold. I imagine they come in different sizes.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase