Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Tubing and drain pipe are measured differently. That is probably why things don't seem to line up.

The OD of the drain should be the same as the OD of the riser. A hub should accept the drain once you've added the primer and cement (that connection is an interference one, and the cement literally melts the plastic so it can then slide in to the stop).

Cement's cheap...I know you probably don't want to go there, but I think I'd chip out the concrete there, and install the proper trap. Then again, I'm not a plumber so there may be another way to do it right. Epoxy isn't one of the right ways!

Again though, I'd expect the riser and the outlet of the drain to be the same OD. IF not, something is awry.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd have to cut it out and replace it, Dan, everything else is a band aid.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
DanLN

Smile

Thank you for the replies. I’m going to go ahead and rip it out and redo today. Lesson learned
Unread 06-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #19
DanLN

Kerdi Foam Tray Substrate

Hello All,

I am attempting to install a Kerdi shower (including a Kerdi Foam Tray) in my basement bathroom that is on a slab, after using self-leveler on the floor, I noticed the floor was still about 1/8 inch out of level across (My first time using SLC). To fix this, I applied a concrete patch to parts of the concrete floor to raise them to the appropriate height. I was unable to get the patch perfectly smooth, so while the shower floor as a whole is now level, there are small valleys across the surface, and the finish is not smooth. The valleys are no more than 1/8 inch. Can I still install the Kerdi foam tray (maybe extra thinset to take care of those hills?) Or should I use another layer of SLC? Any insights would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Unread 06-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #20
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Dan.

I’d normally say to hit the surface of what you’ve got with a rub brick ($14 block of stone-like material that acts like sandpaper for masonry materials), then skim coat what’s left. But the patch you’ve used has left an unusually rough surface. Can I ask which patch you’ve used?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #21
DanLN

Thank you for your response! The patch I used is Top’N Bond by Sakrete. The roughness could be user error (:. Do you have a product you recommend for a skim coat? Or a particular trowel (I’ve been using the straight edge of a Kerdi trowel)?
Unread 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #22
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
There are a number of cementitious patching or self leveling compounds on the market, Dan, and they won't be as thick as that Sakrete product you used. HD carries the Henry brand. Laticrete makes at least one. They will be much easier to feather to a thin edge. Be sure to read the installation instructions as some might have specifics.

I'd want to take a few minutes with a stiff 5-in-1 type tool to dislodge any loose bits of what you have there now before installing anything else.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #23
DanLN

First Time Kerdi Shower Questions

Hey All,

I'm making progress on a basement shower renovation (Drywall is hung and ready for Kerdi Membrane) and have run into some questions regarding installation. My questions are:

1. Should I extend the kerdi membrane to the ceiling? The shower has a bulkhead so the ceiling is lower than a normal ceiling and only extends 5 inches or so higher than the shower head.

2. On the outside shower walls I plan on extending the tile a few inches past the shower curb. Should I stop the Kerdi at the curb and let the tile hang few inches past the membrane or do I continue the Kerdi membrane until the end of the tile?

3. What should I do with the drywall seams at the ceiling and the small gaps at the corners? Do I need to tape and mud these? (See photos)

4. This one definitely doesn't belong here, but figured I'd ask since there some very handy people on these forums. The light fixture for this bathroom is off center by a few inches due to a plumbing vent pipe (See last photo). Does anyone know of a way to mount a flight fixture centered over that pipe? Would a pancake box work?

Thanks so much for any help you all can provide!

- Dan
Attached Images

Unread 06-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #24
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

1. YOu only need it up to above the showerhead, but it wouldn't hurt to go to the ceiling.
2. I'd want the Kerdi to extend at least an inch beyond the outer edge of the curb, but it doesn't have to be under all of the tile there if they go further.
3. I'd caulk the ceiling seam, but the membrane around the corners is all you need to help bond the sheets together there.
4. A pancake box IF there's not a lot of wires in there, should be fine. Anchoring the box might be an issue, as you don't want to puncture the pipe. There are volume restrictions that must be adhered to about box fill.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've combined your first three threads on this project here, Dan, so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. Please keep all your project questions here.

1. I'm guessing you have what is commonly called a fur-down above your shower. A bulkhead is generally a vertical wall section. Have you checked to see if there is anything in the fur-down that would prevent your removing it? That would be my first choice. If not, I suggest you consider waterproofing and tiling that ceiling. The ceiling is usually not technically a wet area, but when it's that low I'd give it some extra consideration.

4. A little confused here. Appears you already have a pancake box. Mounting it on the pipe? I suppose it could be done with a couple conduit clamps, but I've never tried it nor seen it done. I don't recall anything in the NEC that would specifically prohibit it so long as it's sufficiently solid to support the fixture.

I can't tell where it's located. Is the reason for moving strictly aesthetic?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2021, 03:40 AM   #26
DanLN

I appreciate the responses. Not sure how I ever would have completed this without this forum. Unfortunately there is plumbing and a steel beam in the box-out over the shower, or else I would remove it. As far as the light goes, it’s located over a vanity, which is why I’d like it centered on the vanity. I have an electrician coming out today to address some other issues, so I will go ahead and ask about that as wel. Thanks everyone!
Unread 07-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #27
DanLN

Hello All. Thanks to all of your help, I’ve been making steady progress on my shower. I’m getting ready to apply Kerdi-Band to the seams of my shower and install the base and curb. The Kerdi Curb seems obnoxiously high in my tiny bathroom, so I ordered a different waterproof foam curb (link at the bottom) that is wrapped with a fiber mesh and comes ready to tile. My question is whether or not I should wrap this new curb in Kerdi membrane before installing? Or can I just install it similar to a Kerdi Curb with Kerdi Band at the seams?

On an unrelated note, as I am getting ready to tile, I would like to get clarification on one point. I will be using a tile leveling system to install hexagon tile in the shower. As it’s my first time, I will probably take multiple days to finish the job. I’m a bit confused on whether or not I should leave leveling spacers (I’m using a lash system) at the ends of the top row of tile when I finish for the day. Any input would be greatly appreciated as wel as any general advice is n hexagon tile or tile in general. Thanks!

-Dan
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TILITE-U...5360/315190779
Attached Images

Unread 07-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #28
detroitMi
tile marble&granite

waterproofing

You will have to fully waterproof the shower curb, shower tray perimeter & corner walls up to the ceiling. Shower drain will have to be waterproofed as well. If you do not waterproof the entire shower area, it will fail down the road unless you don't plan on using the shower. Schluter external and internal corners are needed. What kind of drain did you use, it does not look like a wetroom drainage? Schluter Kerdi Drains are recommended for Schluter Kerdi shower tray. Hope it helps. Good luck buddy!

Last edited by detroitMi; 07-10-2021 at 03:18 PM.
detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #29
DanLN

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Drain will be a Kerdi drain, it hasn’t been installed yet. The curb itself is already waterproofed from the manufacturer. My real concern is whether or not I’ll be able to get a good waterproof seam between a non-Kerdi curb and a Kerdi shower tray using Kerdi band. My gut says it should not be an issue since both surfaces are meant to bond to thinset, but I am aware of my limitations, so figured I’d ask. Applying Kerdi membrane to the curb wouldn’t be particularly difficult, so perhaps it would be worth the peace of mind.
Unread 07-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #30
detroitMi
tile marble&granite

wetroom waterproofing

Wetrooms are sensitive. If improper done or you miss anyting at all, that shower will fail in no time. In other words, you gota know what you are doing.
detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase