Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you lived near me you could search about for a place who sells it by the pound, but you'd certainly not get any from me. Not because I'm stingy, but because I ain't got any. And never have had any.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2021, 12:36 AM   #17
otrex

I installed a Kerdi Line with the tileable grate option in my previous home about 2 years ago and am in the process of installing the non-tileable one in my new bathroom right now.

I can tell you that whomever installed this one did not follow the directions for the Kerdi Line w/tileable grate cover as the tile on top of the grate is supposed to be cut so that it covers the gap between the drain and back wall. Then underneath that overhang there is a supplied black strip which sticks down onto the Kerdi flap on the backside of the drain and then no grout/sealant is called for at that change of plane (presumably to prevent water from being trapped).

Given that whomever installed this ignored those instructions and chose to cut some fairly odd tiles between the drain and wall, this whole installation is rather far from what Schluter suggests.

If it were me and you didn't want to take out those incorrect tiles and redo the tileable grate and surrounding area, I'd get some Sikaflex 221 in the colour white and then carefully smear it into the gaps between the tileable top and tile (the tileable top only, though). Sikaflex cures with exposure to humidity but remains flexible permanently. It is also resistant to acids and will not yellow ever. But once it's on there it's not coming back off so be sure to tool it so that it looks great before letting it set. And there is no reason to allow water to penetrate underneath the tile on the tileable grate itself, so I think sealant on this part is quite reasonable - especially when you know that this part of the drain gets every bit of soap/gunk/dirt thrown at it for the duration of a shower and will eventually start to smell real bad if it gets trapped between the tile and cover.

I don't think I'd use the Sikaflex around any area where you expect water to be passing underneath, however, as it would probably create water damming. So I think that rules out using it anywhere else.

As CX noted, if the installer couldn't be bothered to read the instructions for this drain I'd have some serious concerns about the quality of the rest of the installation too.

All this being said, I think the Kerdi Line drains are a really fine product if installed correctly. It's really nice being able to use practically any tile you want in the shower since there only needs to be one slope. To that end, while you have the tileable cover off try putting a level down onto the drain body itself and see if the installer bothered to ensure it was perfectly level. If not, that drain is not going to be very pleasant.

Last edited by otrex; 06-05-2021 at 12:53 AM.
otrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase