Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
djn

Floor not flat, 12x24 tile--how much risk to move forward?

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a guest bath renovation, bathroom is separated into a room for the vanity and a room for the tub/toilet with a door between that will now be a pocket door. The vanity room was marble that ran continuously into the hall (may have originally been carpet) and the tub room was original tile (1978). After demolition, the tub room was lower than the vanity room. The GC added plywood (I think 1/2"), then the tile guy added Durock, then they laid 12x24 tile. I don't think they did anything to ensure the floor is flat. There's an obvious dip that starts at the point where the rooms join and gets worse in the first row in the tub room. The next row into the room is now higher (after three tries--used to be part of the dip) and actually the remainder of the room is pretty flat. The dip goes both ways across the room. One way it is around 1/8" (going from one room to the other) and the other way it is 1/4" (going from one side of the room to the other--tub to wall/door into bedroom). I hope that makes sense.

I am trying to get one of the tile guys here to come by to take a look but you guys are all so busy now. The GC says anyone that looks at it is going to criticize it and want to tear it out, so he's not crazy about that idea, but I am insisting that we stop the job now while it can be stopped. Cabinets in but no countertop--was supposed to go in this afternoon but I said no, not until we address the tile situation.

Would I be okay if they tear out the two rows, maybe three, use Sakrete or something similar to flatten the floor in the dip, and move on? Or is this a bigger issue?

I will say that the quality is disappointing overall and I've discussed that with the GC. Although they were using spacers and I thought the spacers were also leveling, the spacing of the grout joints is uneven. And in the room that hasn't been torn out twice, the grout job is bad and I've already told them will have to be redone (not smooth, wiped out too much in some areas). My top preference would be to rip it all out and have someone else do it, but I'm trying to be reasonable and live with what I've got if a smaller fix for the dip is sufficient. The grout blends very well with the tile and most people would probably not ever notice the spacing issues.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm in Atlanta if you have any recommendations. Cain relocated and I've left messages for two people he recommended, requesting paid consultations.
Unread 05-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
djn

adding more information

After reading "related" threads (so helpful) and the industry standards:

Tile is rectified porcelain not stone.
Width of room from tub side to wall/door side is 4 feet, with the 1/4" dip around the middle of the 4 feet.
Looking at the dip from the length of the room, the 1/8" dip is also probably between 4 feet of length of the room.
Once beyond the 4 feet of the length of the room near the new pocket door (the worst of the dip is just beyond the pocket door where the floor was lower), going either way, the floor is pretty flat.

I think I have to at least fix the dip area.

Thanks for your opinions!
Unread 05-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Debbie,

Sounds like maybe you need to change contractors and crews.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
djn

Yep so true. Thanks for your reply.

I found a certified tile installer and lucked out on timing. He just came by to look and will send a quote on proper prep and tile. It will be more $$ but so worth it. Original tile guy admitted there was a problem and is not charging. GC will tear out for the new tile guy.

It could be worse.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase