Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
LaceyG

Shower remodel questions for contractor

Hello. I’m new to the forum. I was recommended to post photos and questions here for a master shower being done as part of our home remodel.

These are of the current progress after we asked for it to be redone. Previously the shower walls were moisture-resistant drywall coated in Aqua Defense. When the floor tile went on, we noticed issues like lippage and tiles not lining up (2x2 squares on mesh - I confirmed some of the tiles were not lining up on the mesh from looking at our overage, but not sure why they were still installed). Asking people about the tile floor led to learning about other things like using cement board vs greenboard.

All that to ask, I want to be able to have an informed conversation with my GC on whether this redo is headed in a suitable direction. It’s not complete as you can see, and I don’t want to be critical on work that is still in process, but I would like some objective guidance from professionals if this is heading in a good direction. Photos attached show the current status and a few items in the room I expect are planing to be used. The last photo shows the original prior to restarting.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by LaceyG; 05-10-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Retook photos.
LaceyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lacey,

Looks like your pictures didn't come through. Click the paper clip image at the top of the reply form and go from there.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
LaceyG

Thank you. I just reposted new ones that hopefully have the right positioning. Please let me know if you still don't see them.
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
BIGPHIL

Welcome to the forum, Lacey! I suggest putting an immediate pause on any further work! A few issue I see right off the bat: 1) they've used mechanical fasteners on the inside and top of your curb. Using the traditional PVC pan liner such that you have, that is a big mistake and against the plumbing code. If the previous liner is any indication of the new one, it also doesn't appear to extend to the front of the curb too. 2) it looks to me that that they've used a mix of alkali resistant mesh tape as well as regular paper tape on the shower. The paper tape should not have been used. It also appears to have all been set with drywall mud and not thinset mortar. 3) I'd have like to have seen proper wood blocking between the studs to support the pan liner. 4) pan liner corners look dodgy nor does it appear the pan liner rises above the curb the required minimum amount. 5) curb looks a little low. It must be a minimum of 2" above the drain in height. I'm sure there are some other issues here, but reason #1 would be enough already to warrant another redo already!
Unread 05-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The one thing that jumps out to me is the picture just after the Redgard one. Here you have a curb with a rubber liner over it and then covered with cement board. Problem is that there is NO way that cement board can be attached to a rubber liner. Notice that he used screws or nails on the top and on the inside.

This is where water can work it's way in and rot the curb...meybe not in 6 months, but it WILL eventually happen.

There should be NO screws lower than 2" above the top of the curb anywhere around the shower walls....and don't accept the "I'll Redgard the holes." Not acceptable.

If he give you the "OK smarty, how would YOU treat the curb?" You need to fold the rubber liner over and down the outside of the curb. You may nail or screw the liner on the OUTSIDE of the curb.

Assuming he pulled a mud bed for the floor, he needs to take some expanded lathe that he bend over a 2x4. "Overbend" it so that it will solidly grab onto the curb. This you can also attach on the outside of the curb.

Now he can mix up some floor mud with a bit of lime added to make it sticky....or just use some mason mix (brick morter) and slather this on all three sides of the curb. After setting up, use a rub stone to smooth and even everything out.

NOW it can be tiled......

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see the cost of hiring a amateur.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyG
It’s not complete as you can see, and I don’t want to be critical on work that is still in process
Lacey, do be critical. As the paying customer, you have the right to be critical. You are paying for a correctly constructed shower and are still not getting what you are paying for, as clearly pointed out above.

I'm not a pro and I've never built a traditional PVC liner shower. But, I have been on this forum long enough to pick out ALL of the same things that LAZ and BIGPHIL have pointed out just by looking at photos. I am confident that other pros have read both of those responses and found them accurate and comprehensive, not bothering to add a +1.

You are saving everyone time and money by stopping this now and either: 1) getting your contractor to get his tile guy to do it right, or 2) find someone who can.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 05:39 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Snets and the others said. You might want to click on the "liberry" in the dark blue bar above and find the shower construction info thread.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
LaceyG

Thank you all for your feedback. This is very helpful in helping us decide what steps to take. Because this was the second round, it seems we'll need to ask for a different sub to take on the shower project.

Am I understanding right that the only way to fix the shower from here is to demo the shower pad and walls and start from scratch?

I'll check out the liberry now as well.

Thank you!
Unread 05-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
BIGPHIL

If it were mine, I'd accept nothing short of a full tear out, Lacey. Nearly all of it has been improperly constructed. Given the subs complete lack of understanding of correct shower construction, I agree with your thinking that I'd want someone else doing the job next time. Before the next build begins, get a complete plan on what materials and waterproofing methods they plan to use. There are some recent threads on here about some questions to ask the builder as well as credentials/reference info that may help weed out the unqualified installers. I'd get as much information as possible so this hopefully doesn't happen again.
Unread 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
LaceyG

Thank you, Phil. We'll stick with our gut and look at different subs. Thank you for the help!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase