Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
miroslav_karpis

concrete in a bathroom (heating cables)

Hi All,

Please can you help with following. I'm renovating bathroom from scratch but I'm not certain about following:
- the house has a wooden construction (bathroom on the second floor)
- wooden supporting planks (the construction) every 60 cm
- I have put isolation in the floor and on top of it to make if even I have put 'master board' (a 2cm board) - advice from the plumber
- before putting the heating cables and concrete I received an advice that I should put iron net (10 mm) on top of the floor
- after the net is done should come the heating cables and then the concrete

Do you think that the iron net is a good advice? Is it normal to put also iron net in the bathroom floor? Should I fix/screw the net to the floor before or is it ok to only push it during the concrete will be poured?

Many thanks.
miroslav_karpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, miroslav_karpis. Please put whichever of those is a first name into a permanent signature line for us to use. That'll help us Gringos identify which is which, eh?

And be patient, we are gonna be unfamiliar with some of your terms and you with some of ours, I'm sure.

Since you're on a ceramic tile site, I'm gonna assume you plan to install ceramic tile on that floor. That would be correct?

First thing we need to do is determine if your floor structure is suitable for a tile installation. You need to know the type, size, spacing (I'll try to work on that 60cm, but sounds like 24" centers), and unsupported span of your floor joists.

If you have a plank subfloor you will need to add a layer of plywood on top of that before your tiling substrate or your heating cables or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroslav_karpis
I have put isolation in the floor and on top of it to make if even I have put 'master board' (a 2cm board) - advice from the plumber
I'm afraid you'll need to try that one again. Isolation in and on top of the floor???? Also not familiar with Master Board.

The iron net, which we would call metal lath, is usually not recommended by the heating system manufacturers. You should consult the instructions for the particular heating system you intend to use. It's possible they would specify that if you are going to use SLC to cover the heating system, but I would doubt it.

Next we need to make sure we're on the same page with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroslav_karpis
after the net is done should come the heating cables and then the concrete
Perhaps there is some misunderstanding about the concrete? We would normally expect the heating system to be covered with SLC or thinset mortar, then possibly an isolation membrane, then the tile. Sometimes deck mud is used over hydronic heating tubes, but not generally over radiant wire systems.

Let's see if we can clear up some of my misunderstandings and then we can work on your floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
miroslav_karpis

many thanks for the quick reply. Here are my answers:
- originally where in the bathroom tiles and heating cables - so I guess that the bathroom is suitable for it
- yes, I'm going to put ceramic tiles (to be more specific I have bought a 'lava' tiles? (from lava)
- the 'master-board' equals the (layer of plywood)
- the 'iron-net=metal lath' I would discuss today with the electrician (to see if the heating cables would be ok with that

So generally the question is if there is necessary to put the metal lath. But the original floor didn't have it + it looks that it is not the best for the heating cables
miroslav_karpis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase