Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
dbooker

Heating cables over Tuff-Form?

Hi Everyone,

Never posted before, so bare with me. Been in the trade now for over 18 years, but I am stumped. I have a job coming up using the Tuff-Form shower pan system by ARC. Now, the customer would like the shower floor heated. I am using Comfort One heating wire. Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how would you ever attach the wire? Gluegun? Is the wire going to get to warm for the pan? I know you can install Ditra over in-floor heat, but it is also encapsulated in self levelling or some guys use thinset. I am affraid of burning into the water proofing and base. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and how they dealt with it. Maybe a call to Arc will solve the problem.
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Derek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Maybe a call to Arc will solve the problem.
I'd certainly start there.

I've never heard of an electric radiant floor heating system that got hot enough to damage any tile setting material, but I suppose it could happen.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Derek, you are not going to hurt the tuff form pan nor the thinset with the heat cable.

Question is will the liquid waterproofer hold up? Typically Mapegum is sold with the tuff form system.

If the liquid waterproofer is suitable over the heat I would scuff the tuff form pan first, hot glue the wires in place, skim coat with a premium modified thinset, apply waterproofer according to manufacturers instructions then set the tile.

Best place to check is with the waterproofing manufacturer.

Remember with the system that you are dealing with you likely have 4 different manufacturers.
1) tuff form
2) water proofing
3) thinset
4) heat cable

You are the one holding the bag if things go bad.....a salesman will tell you anything.

Be sure to get it in writing, maybe in email.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase