Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Looking to Purchase a Laser Level

I am not sure if this should be in the mud box or the pro hangout but here goes.
I am looking for a new cross line laser level. There seems to be 2 basic designs. The typical 2 way cross line level which gives you a nice big cross from the floor to ceiling and across the 3 walls in front of it. These tend to run around $150-$200.
Then the next step up is the 3 plane, 360 degree lasers that run $500-$600.
Then there are things like range, 50-100 feet, and color.
I know that I would prefer a green laser, they appear brighter and are easier to see in the daylight. But what about the 360 degree lasers? Are they worth the extra money? I would think that its easy enough to spin it around and get it lined up again versus having a laser that shines in every direction at all times.
And how about the brands? I have dewalt 12v and 20v tools but am not opposed to other brands or that they use alkaline batteries. Unless you guys notice that these things burn through the AA batteries.
Homers has a a bosch for $164 with tripod. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-50-...-150/303173394
Seems like a good deal. Should I get something better?
Thanks

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That Bosch is decent for most kitchen/bath remodeling. I’ve used that one on a few jobs borrowed from a friend. It’s easy enough to rotate around to adjacent walls if you need more width than it projects at one time. I wouldn’t go with any less accuracy than that one at +/- 1/8” at 33’.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2022, 04:39 AM   #3
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I have a BOSCH GLL 3-80 360 Degree Three Plane Laser. I found the 360° lasers to be considerably brighter and easier to use than the smaller versions. I use this laser to verify elevations of foundations floor plane alignment and many other precision tasks and am very happy with the performance.

I previously had a smaller unit similar to the one you posted. I found it overly sensitive to vibration and manually rotating it as you mentions would knock it out of alignment.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2022, 04:59 AM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

I've been very happy with this off-brand green laser. Shoots 360 degrees in horizontal and the two vertical lines. If anything goes wrong I'd buy it again but have had it for several years. Uses a rechargeable battery, and now comes with TWO batteries instead of one....mine only has one I'm brand name on certain things but a laser isn't one of those things for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Leveling...7K6BJX3D&psc=1
Unread 05-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered that 360 laser from Amazon. It's got a lot of good reviews and is a third the price of the name brands.

I will post updates when I get it

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 05-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

The unit Justin provided link to looks pretty similar to the Bosch 3-axis unit I have at about 1/2 the $. Seems like good option.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
jerrymlr1

Hilti PM40 MG has fine tuning adjustments for radius and height if you get the tripod with it. Well worth the $$
Unread 05-11-2022, 01:00 AM   #8
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I ended up getting the Justin recommended. It was cheap enough and i will return it if its junk. Build quality is not nearly as good as the name brand units. It comes with a nice, padded, soft case, extra usb rechargeable batteries, and a wall mount. I still need/want a tripod. I will hang it from a wall tomorrow and try it out.
Btw, I used a laser level to plumb a wall before hanging tile backer. I used drywall shims and it was pretty easy. This might be my new favorite way to make a wall plumb and flat.

Unread 05-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #9
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Recommendation: pass on the tripod as they typically take up a lot of space on the floor, and only can go just so high and can’t go low. Just get yourself a “Fastcap 3rd hand” that’ll let you laze anywhere from about 3 inches off the floor to 10 feet. And to that a Bosch BM 1 adjustable pole laser holder. And your set for life.
Attached Images

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

http://bosch bm1 laser holder
Attached Images

Unread 05-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
smifwal

I have that same set and I never use my tripod anymore just because of the amount of space it takes up. I was constantly moving it to go out and make a cut or mix thinset. I also purchased the temporary magnetic door they sell
Unread 05-13-2022, 11:52 AM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I second the Bosch laser holder. I also have the Bosch pole which is much less flimsy and shakey than my Zip poles. I never tried the Fast cap ones but I'm guessing they are better too.
Unread 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

The Third Hand poles are indeed a good deal sturdier than the Zip poles, Jim.

Lot of negative comment on that Bosch pole mount, specifically about the lack of stability of the actual mount for the laser instrument. Do you not find it excessively loose on yours?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

I have two. One I purchased about five years ago and one purchase last year. Both click magnetically to the pole very tightly. No slippage, no movement without using some real force.

However the little round disc that you connect to the laser is a little different these days. They both look almost identical however the one I purchased five years ago has good tension in the rotating disk part to the base of the unit. Meaning it stays where you put it without any wiggle. My newest one however almost feels like it can spin on ball bearings. So sometimes to get a perfect alignment I don’t even touch the rotating device or laser, I just turned the pole ever so slightly. I could probably tighten that up easily but just never got around to doing it. Might’ve just been mine but that was the only annoyance. The new ones also come with some other kind of snap-on attachment capability which I never could figure out so I just tossed it out.

Last edited by Topspin; 05-13-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 05-17-2022, 12:01 AM   #15
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

As of now I am using a metal simpson hung from the wall to hang the laser level. The laser level that I bought came with a magnetic holder that has a few micro adjustments.
I will keep my eye open for a second hand third hand.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase