Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
Skoorbmax

Which schluter transition for Ditra-XL to carpet?

I'm a DIYer.

24" joists, 7/8" OSB single layer. Presently there is linoleum over 1/4 (?) luan (?) or plywood. I intend on removing that layer, going down to OSB, using whatever Home Depot grade modified thin-set is in stock and adhering Ditra-XL (the only one they accept for OSB), then the unmodified for the 7" tiles.

When I did this at a previous house I used Reno-U transition. The problem is, since I was on Ditra then also, the Ditra was visible under the strip. I never bothered lifting the carpet up near it to transition properly, and finally made it look nice when we installed thicker flooring a few years later.

With Ditral XL being even thicker I need somethign to drop height to the level of the OSB--or close. Is Reno-V going to be the ticket?
Unread 12-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Arandar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arandar
and adhering Ditra-XL (the only one they accept for OSB)
You'll need to 'splain that. Far as I know, Schluter has indicated Ditra over OSB for years. And years before they even started making DitraXL.

Can't say I completely follow your description of your problem. If you're just looking for something to transition from a higher tile installation to a lower carpet installation, the Reno-V might work fine. But without knowing the difference in level from the top of your Ditra to the top of your carpet, it's a little difficult to say for sure.

And a good bit would depend upon whether you like the look of the Reno-V in your application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
Skoorbmax

Ditral XL is the only ditra applicable to single-layer OSB with 24" joists.

Honestly, I do not like the look of Reno V. It's quite wide!
Unread 12-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

So, it's the joist spacing rather than the OSB that's of concern. The Schluter requirement there also assumes nominal 3/4" OSB. Pretty rare in my part of the planet to see 7/8ths" OSB and I don't know what Schluter's position on that might be.

I've always preferred to tuck my carpet directly against ceramic tile in that installation. Might require ramping the carpet up on some tapered shims. There are materials specifically made for that, but it's also not uncommon to use cedar shingles for the application. That an option?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A tack strip would raise the edge of the carpet and hold it in place, but some shingles and carpet tape MIGHT work. Depending on the carpet, the cut edge may start to unravel unless covered or capped, so that could be an issue.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
Skoorbmax

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try and ramp it I think. If I'm lucky the luan's extra layer of wood, when removed, will be enough to hide the thicker profile of the ditra XL against carpet
Unread 01-01-2022, 12:06 AM   #7
smifwal

What kind of carpet do you have? Normally we stack strip two pieces right next to the tile one right behind it and the pad overlaps the piece behind it. Surely the ditra XL and tile will not be more than 3/4 of an inch or will it?.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase