Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
harleysilo
DIY'er

Porcelin Tile that looks like wood....anyone installed it?

I'm considering purchasing some porcelain tile that looks like wood to put in our living room and office (dining room).

I found a website I can order it from, and spoke to a gentleman there yesterday. http://woodlooktiles.com/ I can purchase samples, which of course I would do prior to any purchase.

The problem is they don't have a showroom nor have the had (that they know of) a commercial install anywhere near Atlanta. So I can't go see the product installed.

I'm going to keep searching, I just wondered if any of you have had good luck with any particular brand. I'd also like to see some real world pictures of this stuff installed, or hear opinions about the overall look.

Another source potentially.... http://www.trendyfloors.com/_e/gdept...ramic_Tile.htm

Haven't found pricing for this brand yet... http://www.discoverwoodtec.com/
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

Go to the pro hangout and do a thread search.... several guys have laid this stuff-- looks interesting

You need a flat floor to avoid lippage problems

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
harleysilo
DIY'er

I was able to find one thread here on it with a google search, before I posted, had a few pics but was not a solid wood floor pattern. Can't seem to get the search here to return any threads on the subject now however.
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

"Wood-Look" Tiles....

Nathan~~~~Interesting concept and interesting "install." My job was one that was mentioned above. Worthy to note that, as with any tile, the bigger...in this case, "longer," the more critical the levelness of the floor becomes. This HO didn't want ANY grout and the tile "butted." As it happens, it worked out quite well. Looks just like wood. (Link below)

As it happens, an Associate of mine just installed a whole house with something similar, got it grouted....and it's a bear to clean up and make look presentable. Still, a good product as long as you don't go to the 36" pieces. They typically have so much of a "bow" to them that lippage is pretty much unavoidable.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ght=wood+tiles

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

What Laz said..we did a large floor of it and the substraight was very flat..still the tiles had "curling" issues on many of the corners so some lippage was evident..other than that it was a nice floor.

We just did one that looked more like bamboo or reeded grass mats. I initally thought it would look terrible but in fact it turned out to be so unique it was attractive to me. I don't have finished pics yet but here's one in progress.
Attached Images

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Kman

Trask, how do you like the saw tent? I've seen them online and thought a few times about getting one, just didn't know if it was worth the trouble of setting up and all, not to mention the cost of it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I dunno how many wet tents we own..but we have alot of them..possibly a dozen..Simply put I can't imagine working without them. The time they save us in mess clean-up and keeping the saw closer to the work area is unbelievable. I did home built and improve set-ups for a long time and to me they just don't make sense anymore. Every installer has one and it sets up in under 5 min..folds up in a nice carry case is light and looks professional.
They don't last long if they are manhandled and ours seem to have faily short life spans..but they still save us money.

while I'm totally derailing the thread... An air switch foot pedal is another item I would not run a saw without...

We now return you to the Wood tile thread in progress

Unread 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The warpage in the last "wood plank" tile job I did forced a lippage problem. Doesn't matter if you start with a glass flat floor, the fact that you install them in an overlapping pattern forces the low "ends" next to the high "middles". Lippage is unavoidable in such cases. Hopefully, your tile is flat.

I bought a wet tent a couple years ago to work in a high rise condo. Mucho good investment. Too bad the manufacturer suddenly raised their prices by a large, large margin.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Bubba I noticed the drastic price increas too...They hooked us and then raised the price.

Unread 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
harleysilo
DIY'er

It really does scream professional.
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
M.Thomas
Flooring

This is weird that I ran across this thread, because I just had a dream that I installed wood ceramic tile. This is 7 different shades of weird
M.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase