Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
vtbrews

Notch size for 12x12 marble

We're getting ready to cover over our mosaic pink tile floor and need some advice. The floor is not completely flat nor level (1/4" over 8') so we are going to start with primer then self leveling compound.

We then plan on using kerabond/keralastic combo directly over the SLC to lay the tile. There are no cracks in the floor, no movement, and it's been in place for 50+ years.

The tile we have is 12x12 honed marble (I think they call it vanilla latte in terms of color) that is approximately 7/16" thick. Only checked a couple of tiles so far but they appear flat (only a sliver of light when a known straightedge is placed on the back of the tile).

Question 1: Should I seal the tile before cutting with a wet saw? (Planning on sealing with Aquamix Gold before grouting)

Question 2: 1/4x3/8 or 1/2x1/2 for trowel size? (I've seen conflicting advice)

Question 3: Back butter or no?

Final Related Question: I'm thinking of going with 1/4x3/8 with back butter to ensure coverage. Make sense?

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
M.Thomas
Flooring

You have it right with the back buttering. The only thing you have to watch out for with natural stone, and a marble for sure is FULL COVERAGE. Marble especially will crack if there isnt sufficient coverage. You will need to seal it after you install it for sure. Water from the wet saw wont hurt it, but you may see some discoloration in the tile along the lines of dark blotches. Dont worry its just the water in the tile and it will evaporate, the thinset will absorb any left over water. Make sure to seal it every year. 3/8 x 1/4 is good enough and I think personally 1/2 x 1/2 is too much for a 12x12. Hope all goes well.
M.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

If this is a wood floor i would check it on our DEFLECTO above,the criteria for stone are twice that for tile, and it may not be suitable for stone.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
vtbrews

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice!

Thanks M. Thomas for the confirmation as well as the warning about the temporary discoloration.

Davestone, though I should have checked before, I just checked now and came up with an L/805, which is good for stone. The house is old, but the guy who put the addition on in the 50s didn't mess around. The joists are also cross-braced which can only help I'm assuming.

This is such a great site.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase