Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #1
90sKid

New guy here

Hello Everyone,

My name is Justin I am originally from a small town right outside Pensacola Fl, currently in the process of getting out of the Marine Corps after 11 years of service due to refusing the covid vaccine. My career ended early but it is a choice that I am willing to make for my future. I am currently working with my uncle who is "retired" from setting tile after 22 years here in Eastern North Carolina. I am in a weird spot because he wants me to take his company over but am wanting to start my own. I am glad to find this forum after hearing about it from The Tile Money Podcast. I look forward to learn from the Professional's here on the forum. Take care!
Justin T Johnson
Unread 03-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome aboard, Justin.

Seems like a ready-made company to take over would bit easier and faster than starting out on your own, but I can't see all the ramifications from over here.

His reputation in the industry was good?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I "second" that. If he has established a reputation and is willing to work with you...I don't see a downside. An established business generally will "trump" an unknown new business....but, do what your heart tells you to do....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
90sKid

There is a lot going on with it. The issue I see is the quality of work isn’t there anymore. He’s ok with the things that make your name know in a good way not so good. For example, is he ok with lipage, I get it, sometimes it’s inevitable, but he doesn’t put in the prep work to make things look like they should. Walls are often not level, mud pans are often wavy ect. Yes he has an established business but from the last year or so working with him really don’t see how his name is even good. On top of that, he wants 1k a month for the duration of the company or until they die. I just can’t see myself giving the. 12k a year for 30+ years. It may seem selfish, but for 12k a year, I can put that back into my company. As far as work, he doesn’t let me do things the “new school” way even though it’s not really new school. For example, leveling clips, kerdi membrane, ect. I don’t want to sound like I’m the best in the business, but I know what right looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM   #5
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

If I had to do it over again, I would have enlisted in the Marines and made a career out of it. My dad was first on Guadalcanal and managed to survive. Did two more tours and went to work for the DEP.
One of the kids I went to school with is a lifer in the Army. He worked his way up in ranks and will retire in another year with an insane pension and health care for the rest of his life. Still young enough to do consulting work at good money.
My advice. Get the vaccine. You must have gotten many before you enlisted. Stay in and let Uncle Sam educate you. Take advantage. You are not going to get rich in the tile trade. You'll make a living. One of my good friends who refused to get vaccinated wound up in the ICU for two months on a respirator but survived. Permanent lung and heart damage. Had to sell his business and now is physically unable to work. On portable oxygen for the rest of his life. He was fortunate that he did well, and his investments paid off. He has the money to survive.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #6
smifwal

I wish I had stayed in, I would have retired in 2019 with 20 and would be 7 away from 30 as of now. And I know you probably had a slew of needles inserted in you over the last 11 years, what's one more mystery cocktail?

I didn't come out with a lot of transferable skills for the civilian job market you might say(0311). I went to work for a friend of mine laying carpet and later started doing hard surfaces when I was paying another friend quite often to do tile on my carpet jobs. I have learned more from this forum than I ever learned from that guy, I now I learned a lot of things wrong. This forum has brought me to level that I can be proud of my work and the confidence to bid things higher as I get better. My point is that if you are planning on making a career out of tile stick around here and you will not regret it.

Ok enough of us telling .you all the reason you should stick it out and on to your real question. If leasing your uncle's name, is benefital then by all means you should. If he has builders/designers/ and a buncle of repeat clients and they always refer him it will get your name out there over the years. If not at the cost he wants I would just start on my own. You will work for less and chase bids only to beat out by a lower bidder. As I mentioned in another post I have lost more bids than I have won.

My last 2 questions for you is what is you MOS tell us what you actually do no numbers like i did to you up there, because I don't remember the designations

And why tile?

I loved tile but over the years I have aquired a lot of heavy equipment and I make quite a bit more than than when I was on my knees

Does your uncle have a lot of clients/designers/builders that would get if you take over his company? If the answer is yes than I would purpose a flat rate or better terms. If not what are you paying for?
Unread 03-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Justin,
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I would give him a lump sum number and offer payments. I would also want to see the books including tax returns for the last 7 years but no less than three years. When I sold my business it was 2.5 times net earnings and 70% replacement value on equipment plus market on real estate. If there is no proof of a profitable business there is no point. Less than accurate tax returns and they might come looking for you. You can ultimately get out of that but it won't be free.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
...due to refusing the covid vaccine
Good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
but I know what right looks like
That's one of the most important aspects of this trade. Knowing how to stop water migration and making it look great will earn you some good buck$ in no time. Welcome and good luck.

Last edited by jerrymlr1; 03-17-2022 at 07:52 PM.
jerrymlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #10
90sKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemanct View Post
If I had to do it over again, I would have enlisted in the Marines and made a career out of it. My dad was first on Guadalcanal and managed to survive. Did two more tours and went to work for the DEP.
One of the kids I went to school with is a lifer in the Army. He worked his way up in ranks and will retire in another year with an insane pension and health care for the rest of his life. Still young enough to do consulting work at good money.
My advice. Get the vaccine. You must have gotten many before you enlisted. Stay in and let Uncle Sam educate you. Take advantage. You are not going to get rich in the tile trade. You'll make a living. One of my good friends who refused to get vaccinated wound up in the ICU for two months on a respirator but survived. Permanent lung and heart damage. Had to sell his business and now is physically unable to work. On portable oxygen for the rest of his life. He was fortunate that he did well, and his investments paid off. He has the money to survive.

Thanks for the advice. But I’m good. Not playing the game with it. I’ve gotten the rona and 2 days later I was working out again. Yes you are right I did get many, but I was also 19 and wanted to go kill bad guys. Saying “but you already gotten many” is like saying in the past 20 years you haven’t matured as an individual. No you specified but in general. Sorry about your friend but I’ll be ok. If I die, I know where I’m going.

Unread 03-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #11
90sKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal View Post
I wish I had stayed in, I would have retired in 2019 with 20 and would be 7 away from 30 as of now. And I know you probably had a slew of needles inserted in you over the last 11 years, what's one more mystery cocktail?

I didn't come out with a lot of transferable skills for the civilian job market you might say(0311). I went to work for a friend of mine laying carpet and later started doing hard surfaces when I was paying another friend quite often to do tile on my carpet jobs. I have learned more from this forum than I ever learned from that guy, I now I learned a lot of things wrong. This forum has brought me to level that I can be proud of my work and the confidence to bid things higher as I get better. My point is that if you are planning on making a career out of tile stick around here and you will not regret it.

Ok enough of us telling .you all the reason you should stick it out and on to your real question. If leasing your uncle's name, is benefital then by all means you should. If he has builders/designers/ and a buncle of repeat clients and they always refer him it will get your name out there over the years. If not at the cost he wants I would just start on my own. You will work for less and chase bids only to beat out by a lower bidder. As I mentioned in another post I have lost more bids than I have won.

My last 2 questions for you is what is you MOS tell us what you actually do no numbers like i did to you up there, because I don't remember the designations

And why tile?

I loved tile but over the years I have aquired a lot of heavy equipment and I make quite a bit more than than when I was on my knees

Does your uncle have a lot of clients/designers/builders that would get if you take over his company? If the answer is yes than I would purpose a flat rate or better terms. If not what are you paying for?

My mos is Logistics and Mobility Chief. 2nd most deployed mos in the corps behind the mobility officer. Basically, I love you and your gear no matter what you have, tanks, helo’s, anything by plane, train, trucks, and by rail.

Why tile? I’m creative by nature. I think it’s a generational thing, I mean a lot of amazing things were in the 90s. As far as tile, idk, I started doing it and just fell in love with it. Looking at something and seeing the face on customers is amazing to me.

Unread 03-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #12
90sKid

Also, he has “retired” but hasn’t really ran the business for 5 years. So clients hit or miss. I just think 1k a month for life is a bit much.

Last edited by cx; 03-29-2022 at 10:18 AM.
90sKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #13
90sKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymlr1 View Post
Good for you.

That's one of the most important aspects of this trade. Knowing how to stop water migration and making it look great will earn you some good buck$ in no time. Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for the support.

Unread 03-18-2022, 02:54 PM   #14
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hi New Guy !

Welcome back

Thanks for your service

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2022, 09:32 PM   #15
smifwal

well devil dog I wish you a profitable career and hope to see you on here often. While I don't do tile much anymore I still get on here as this community is great and hope that I still have a few things to contribute and some tricks to share. The community is very gentle on the ones that want to learn and while there are things set in stone(traditional methods) there are so many new products and installation methods it will help you keep up to speed with all that. I personally would just take a dive off the deep end and start marketing yourself to the local resources available and make a name for yourself, hopefully someone will give you a shot, you might drop your uncle's name to get your foot in the door but I wouldn't give him a dime.

Last edited by smifwal; 03-19-2022 at 07:06 AM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase