Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #46
r-mm

Noted!

Got a few more rows down. Curious as to what your technique is with regards to following:

1. Set tile
2. Place spacer
3. Check for level to adjacent

I've been setting tile, installing spacers as I go but with these small tiles find that the spacers make it hard to tap tiles level. Should I set them by eye, get them level and then install the spacers last?
Attached Images

Unread 12-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #47
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

As for leveling, I would eye ball them. I would have popped lines in a grid and not used the spacers. It's looking good, I'd keep going like you are.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #48
smifwal

Sounds like you answered your own question, do whatever makes the job easiest for you. Are you setting 1 tile at a time?
Unread 12-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #49
r-mm

I'm getting into a groove. These T shaped spacers help a lot. Didn't realized they existed til today.

Realistically this will take me weeks to complete with the holidays and so on. What do you all think about grouting the portion I've completed, or grouting soon-ish? My feeling is it'll help me visualize the final product and help figure out how much lippage between tiles is too much. I know none is ideal but I'm being realistic with my slab and my skills.
Attached Images

Unread 12-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #50
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can grout whenever you want, I'd install more than that, myself.

When you spread thinset, get it covered. It may skim over on the surface if you spend a lot of time taking pictures, etc.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #51
r-mm

Gotcha. This time round I spread more thinset than I did last time, then placed all the tiles quickly by eye and followed up with the spacers, etc.
Unread 12-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #52
smifwal

You should be able to spread a whole row at a time or maybe 2. you got 15 minutes maybe more (check the specs for open time) before it skins over. Keep air movement to a minimum in the room and that will help it from skinning over more quickly. Lippage should be at a minimum with those small tiles
Unread 12-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #53
r-mm

I did not know about "Open Time" thanks for flagging that. 254 Platinum data sheet calls 40minutes.
Attached Images

Unread 12-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #54
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd be shocked, Russ, if that mortar doesn't skin over for 40 minutes. But then, I've never used a truly premium mortar.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...t=68704&page=2
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #55
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You have to remember the slab is pulling moisture out of the thinset too. I doubt that's calculated in the 40 minutes. I'd probably spread thinset for 10-15 pieces and get it covered. But that's me.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #56
r-mm

Gotcha guys, I will keep the open times to a minimum. I did wipe the slab down with a sponge to clean it and give it a little moisture, but noted on the absorption.

Looking ahead to grouting I was reading the Permacolor instruction sheet which says:

"Note: For an added level of stain fighting protection use STONETECH Stain Protecting Grout Additive in lieu of water."

https://www.stonetooling.com/StoneTe...p/30.89400.htm

This isn't a major expense but I wonder if it'll make either mixing, application or cleanup of the grout more difficult? I'm using "Raven" charcoal color and its going to get dirty/dusty/oily one way or another in my garage. Any advice here?
Unread 12-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #57
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Do the tile themselves absorb anything, Russ? They aren't glazed, are they?

If the tile absorbs, or will be stained by, anything spilled on them it seems a wee bit pointless to try to protect the grout. IMO, natch.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #58
r-mm

They aren't glazed but they are similar to Quarry tile - nearly impervious. The same company sells a 100% impervious tile as well but these 'clinkers' are a standard in a great many commercial car service centers.
Unread 12-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #59
r-mm

Can we talk cleanup?

I've been soaking my tools in water and they clean up no problem. The thinset bucket on the other hand is tough. My strategy has been to let it cure a few days then bang / scrape it out. Works sometimes other times I break the bucket or can't get it all out. On this one I tried the dead blow mallet, scraping etc. If the detritus is stuck HARD do you guys tend to just re-mix in the same bucket or is that a no no?
Attached Images

Unread 12-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #60
smifwal

I clean the bucket before every batch with a green scratch pad and at the end of the day I will use a sponge after the green scratch pad. The same for the trowels and the mixing paddle

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase