Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
rwmoon

Need some advice on tiling laundry room

I'm currently tiling a laundry room and I've run into a few things that I'm not sure what to do about.

1) I have a slight gap near the middle of the floor of around 1/16th of an inch. Do I need to flatten this out?

2) another gap near the edge of the room that is larger... probably an 1/8th. Assuming ai need to flatten this out but wanted to confirm.

3) the hole for the dryer vent has some snips that stick out to secure to the floor. Can I just mortar over this and tile or do I need to clean this up in some way?

I plan on using Ditra underlayment with some large porcelain tiles (approximately 12x24 in). If recommendation is to level can I just use the modified thinset I was going to use under the Ditra? I get pretty fixated on mistakes on previous projects so I want to get this as perfect as possible. First time tiling as well.
Attached Images

Unread 02-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bobby.

1, 2. Not sure what you mean by gaps here. You're talking about gaps between sheets of subflooring, perhaps? Or are you talking about dips in the subfloor?

3. That's gonna make a pretty substantial hump in your Ditra installation unless you do something about it.

You should go to the Schluter Ditra website and download their Installation Handbook and read all you can about your installation. They go to some length to tell you precisely what types of thinset mortar they want you to use to install the Ditra on your wood floor and what to use to set your tiles. Up to you then what you elect to do, but for absolutely sure you must use a modified mortar meeting the requirements of ANSI A118.11 to install the Ditra.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
rwmoon

Sorry, I am referring to dips in the floor, pictures appeared upside down for some reason. I've read the Ditra material and I'm confident in the thinset I've purchased for applying the underlayment, but I'm not sure if I should use this to fill in the dips (allowing time for it to dry before another coat for underlayment install).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

The industry standard requirement for substrate flatness for the size tiles you intend to install is no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th-inch in ten feet nor 1/16th-inch in any two feet. That's a very flat floor and you'll be glad to have it come time to set tile.

Thinset mortar is not made for leveling or flattening the work of others, but some folks do that. Up to you. All manufacturers of thinset mortar also make at least one patching and filling material that would be the preferred method.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
prodjsaig

if youre going to be using ditra filling with thinset would work thats what i did in a corner that i had to build up (self leveler would of just slid back down). in my area there is no suitable floor patch that i would tile over. otherwise ardex feather finish would work for you.

you could use self leveler then screen it off with the flat side of your tile trowel but that would be far more expensive. but thats what i did on my bathroom project atm.

a 3/8" trowel would allow you to bridge 1/16" of an inch as well start in a row with the high spot in the room push all the tiles down to the low spot on that row and continue. an 1/8" in a small spot fill it. an 1/8" over 10 feet in like 1/16" every 2 1/2 feet. so the 3/8" trowel will bridge that.
Unread 02-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Tilenovice223

Can't comment on tile. But that is not your dryer vent I hope. Was it under cabinets? If it is your dryervent consider getting a 2x4 down flow dryer box and movong it into the stud cavity. Probably 40 bucks and an hour if you have access under the floor. Then you could patch floor. If that isn't possible you put 2 nails from inside the duct into the subfloor and cut the nips off. Secure the joints in the metal with tape so it doesn't break while hammering.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase